Anonymous

is the Confederate flag racist?

i am wondering how many people think the Confederate flag is racist. if you think it represents slavery then your wrong because it wasn't on the ship that brought the slaves over here, the american flag was though. If you think that the Klan flies the Confederate Flag to symbolize racism, they really dont, the main flag they fly is the American Flag. so if you still think it a hateful flag and represents slavery and racism, then i suggest you research it and then i you find some information about it being racist then please post it. also if you think it bad, please explain why.

Favorite Answer

Well my friend I myself have a few of those flags myself and dont use them as a racial thing. For me its all about history and heritage.

Confederate Flag Racist

• Megan

There are plenty of ignorant people who will respond with ignorance, or emotion, to the question. This is true of any question involving the Confederate battle flag (not the "Stars and Bars", which was a wholly different flag). The truth, though, is that the flag is certainly not "racist". It's easy to put a label like that on anything these days. It's just a term that really has no meaning, but is used to silence those who disagree with you. Read what Charles Dickens, Lord Acton, and others had to say about the war. It wasn't about slavery. It was about the right of self determination--the same thing that the Colonials fought the Revolutionary War over.

Its so funny, I bet 90% of people couldn't actually pick out the longest running version of the confederate flag. The truth is there was only 1 flag of the confederacy that has roots in racism, and ironically enough that flag proved to be confusing on the battle field so a new one was ordered although few of the 3rd were ever actually put into production. So, the fight should be over the 2nd flag of the confederacy, not the battle flag. I do wonder though, why we aren't having the same discussion with Nazi flags, or worse modern day terrorists flags.

Source(s): Cold beer common sense
    • M3 years agoReport

Because the Nazi flag in its most recognized form was used by a regime whose focus was to extinguish a race

No. people relate the rebel flag to racism because in the movies every time there was a crazy redneck or a klu klux klan being featured they usually wielded confederate flag. hollywood is actually one of the main reasons why the confederate flag is seen as "racist". To most southerners, the confederate flag just signifies heritage, and simply the pride of being born in the south. Now, there are some prejudice southerners out there who take it too far.. but I personally was born in Louisiana and grew up seeing rebel flags everywhere. some confederate flags actually are printed with the phrase "heritage, not hate" on the front so people can get a better understanding of the flags true meaning.

• People relate the rebel flag to racism because this flag was adopted and put up on state houses as a protest to integration of the schools. Anytime there was an ACTUAL rightwing terrorist attack or Klan rally, this flag is always on display or on the terrorist property. Denial isn't just a river

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is the Confederate flag racist?

i am wondering how many people think the Confederate flag is racist. if you think it represents slavery then your wrong because it wasn't on the ship that brought the slaves over here, the american flag was though. If you think that the Klan flies the Confederate Flag to symbolize racism, they...

Source(s): confederate flag racist: https://tr.im/Nvkr7

f_cken idiots, look at the u.s. flag, look at the confederate flag of the south. whats the difference? not a ******* thing except the style of design. same ,red, white and blue. stars and bars in both flags. get it? if the southern flag is racist, then so is the u.s. flag. I have a sick feeling that before long everything a person does or says will be come a racist thing because of the people in the offices of this country. every day our so called uncle sam is taking control of this country and the "people" loose more freedom and rights. don't let your friend, family, church, enemies control your thoughts. you have to think for yourself and do what you feel is right. the three words of the U.S. CONSTITUTION reads..."WE THE PEOPLE" not "WE THE GOVERNMENT'. also there are no words written on neither flag that has any racist meaning. the stars and stripes on both flags have the same meaning.....life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

I don't think it has anything to do with hatred or racism. The reason why a lot of people think that, honestly, is because of the media. Okay, there was a man who shot 9 people last year, and he was flying one of those flags, but you can't blame it on a flag. What if he was flying an American flag? Would that mean that the American flag is a symbol of hatred and racism? Unfortunately a lot of people who fly it these days are racist, but the Constitution does not allow someone to ban someone from flying it. Some members of the KKK did fly it for the same reason, but they don't know the true meaning of the flag. Answer to your question - no, it does not symbolize racism, and that is not my opinion, that is a fact

Slavery's existence was the principal cause of the Civil War. The South wanted to protect slavery. In most, if not all cases, it was black people being enslaved. A slave did not have the same representation as a non-slave. I think the answer is obvious. The Confederate flag is racist.

• M3 years agoReport

The north was fine with slavery they just produced different goods for trade that did not require slaves.

the confederate flag is, apparently, a provocative image and flag. It is the flag used, I guess, by the Confederate States of America, which seceded from the United States of America, back in 1860 or something like that. Hey, they still use the flag, in various constructs, in various Southern States, as a symbol for their statehood or something. It is rallied around, during rallies of various sorts, in the movies, I see it is rallied around by the Ku Klux Klan, which IS a racist organization and which apparently in fact does use that flag. So that is bad. It is a hateful, bigoted symbol in that usage. So it depends, then, on the context for what the flag is demonstrating, I suppose. I, personally, don't particularly care for it, and it imbibes a degree of apprehension for me, for sure. Good luck, with all that and frankly, who gives a ****.

I think people should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag at their homes, but the flag should not be able to fly at government buildings. I don't think Mississippi should have to change their flag since it's been around since 1894.