Hunger after illness?

I find that after any illness I am ravenously hungry. At the moment I am just getting over a little bronchitis and I can't get enough to eat. This is common for me with every cold or flu. Any ideas why? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

The most likely reason is the illness used up calories and protein due to increased metabolism and immune system activity and you were possibly not eating much during the illness, so your body is compensating by making you hungry so you can replenish what was lost.

Another possibility is that you have mild diabetes and illnesses are making you symptomatic due to exacerbation of it due to illness induced insulin resistance. This is less likely, but needs to be ruled out, so please do see a doctor just in case. Let the doctor know if you have any other symptoms, such as excessive urination.

Your body needs nourishment that when you were sick, you didn't feel as hungry as normal. You are fine.

Source(s): Personal experience