Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

What is the deal with low blood pressure?

How bad is it if its for example 94/58 or 94/48. What could happen if it is that low and how could you get it up?

Yeah my boyfriend is underweight too that is why i was asking to see if could cause any real harm.

Favorite Answer

Low blood pressure, also called hypotension, would seem to be something to strive for. After all, high blood pressure (hypertension) is a well-known risk factor for heart disease and other problems. In fact, in recent years there has been an ongoing downward revision of what is considered a normal blood pressure reading. A blood pressure less than 120/80 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) is now considered normal and optimal for good health.

So, it's easy to understand why you might assume the lower the better when it comes to blood pressure. And it's true that for some people — those who exercise and are in top physical condition — low blood pressure is a sign of health and fitness. But that's not always the case.

For many people, low blood pressure can cause dizziness and fainting or indicate serious heart, endocrine or neurological disorders. Severely low blood pressure can deprive the brain and other vital organs of oxygen and nutrients, leading to a life-threatening condition called shock.

In many instances, low blood pressure isn't serious. If you have consistently low readings but feel fine, your doctor is likely to monitor you during routine exams. Even occasional dizziness or lightheadedness may be relatively minor — the result of mild dehydration, low blood sugar or too much time in the sun or a hot tub, for example. In these situations, it's not a matter so much of how far, but of how quickly, your blood pressure drops. Still, it's important to see your doctor if you experience any signs or symptoms of hypotension because they sometimes can point to more serious problems. It can be helpful to keep a record of your symptoms, when they occur and what you were doing at the time. If these occur at times that may endanger you or others, you should talk to your doctor.

Take care as always!

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

If your blood pressure is below 90/60 it could be low blood pressure. Common symptoms are faintness and actual fainting spells. If you feel fine then you are probably and hopefully OK.

I have low blood pressure, though my GP didnt mention much about it apart from it may be causing some headaches and making me feel faint. i am underweight m/8stone/5'9'' and that is often a cause.