Gaga science asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

should i buy the 150 gallon or 180 gallon, salt water or fresh water?

as i was saying should i buy the 150 gallon or 180 gallon, salt water or fresh water i already have a tropical 10 gallon and a 55 goldfish tank 4 goldfish i was going for the 150 but then i seen 180 if i spend the extra 60-70 bucks i got a 180 gallon prices

150 for 349.97(reg 600.99)

180 for 399.97(reg 700.99)

should i just go for the 180 and put my tropical fish in it?or should i just save somecash and get the 150 like i said you all chose for me dont ask well whats you budget blah blah blah and yeah which ever you say to buy please tell me all the stuff i will need and how much it'll cost thanks

Favorite Answer

In almost every case, in fact I cannot think of any exceptions, bigger is better, and at a difference of only 50.00 you might just as well get the 180. The fact of the matter is, while both a 150 and 180 is the same length, you get more width in a 180, and width is an important aspect to consider with any fish you keep. It's a bit foolish not to consider extra width I think, not geared at your input but rather another answer.

As far as freshwater or salt, Andrew brings out a great point. Salt water fish have the most beautiful colors to them I think and I do have a 180 African freshwater set up among my other tanks, but they cannot compare to the colors Salt water fish have. However, getting live rock or coral, the proper lighting to sustain it, sand, and having to get the proper salinity, it is more work and quite a bit more money to run a Salt water set up. Ideally then I'd say, with respect to your wallet, go freshwater, especially as well if you are bringing up prices.

What to put in the 180? Wow I mean you really have a whole world of options. You could build up a whole world of schooling fish in a tank like that. Most standard 180s like mine are 72 x 24 x 24 and you could put in about 5-6 groups of different schooling fish in proper schooling numbers, and build up a community of bottom feeders as well.

You as well are open to almost every kind of cichlid out there as well. Some actually would get too big for your tank, such as the Emperor cichlid of Tangyangika, but most could work. I have a mix of Haps, Mbuna, and Peacocks in my 180 with a pretty good range of colors and aggression, and as well I have a Malaysian Golden Jardini in with them. Not the normal mix that's for sure.

You could go with a heavily planted tank, or you could go with sand, so many different choices. Being you have a goldfish tank, I'm not sure what would interest you. If you want something flashy, go schooling fish with large numbers of species, if you are looking for something more exotic and usual, look into African cichlids, if you are looking for larger sized fish, maybe South or Central American cichlids are your way to go. If you are looking into expensive fish, or rare hard to find types, Victorian or Madagascar African cichlids are your ticket.

From personal experience with an 80 gallon salt water tank, they're beautiful but very hard to get right. Plus you have to have the saltwater mixed for water changes and we had to keep gallons of it premixed on shelves. One bottle springing a leak and our carpet got soaked!

For those prices, I'd go for the 180 gallon and make a beautiful planted aquarium. You can put in your established tankmates but why upset they're harmony? Besides it will take awhile to cycle the tank and you don't want all your fish to die. I'd say leave the goldfish in their own tank.

You'd need an appropriate size filter (easy enough to figure out, the sizes of the aquariums are on the boxes)

Lots of multilevel live plants for layering.

Maybe some rocks for hiding places. you can make little caves out of flat rocks.

Lots of gravel.

a really good gravel vac for cleaning.

A CO2 system to help the plants out if you feel really motivated. (to tell the truth, I have a CO2 cylinder and the plants look exactly the same as when I didn't have one)

A bottle of aquatic plant fertilizer

Some starter fish (schoolers like danios or tetras probably would be cheapest) to begin cycling the tank after a week.

If you want to experiment with saltwater, switch your 10 gallon freshwater fish into the big tank once it's up and running and set up the 10 gallon as a salt water tank. That way if it fails you haven't sunk alot of cash into it and you can tell if you'll like it or not. You could get a couple clown fish, maybe an angel and an anemone with some live rock. It would be easier to maintain (and cheaper to set up) than a 180 gallon salt water tank!

• ?

Either way you'll have to change 37-45 gallons of water every week. And if you do the salt water you have to keep the salt balance accurately. It's really up to you though. Personally I would try salt water in a smaller tank, 55 gallons, and when I feel I'm ready, I'd get the huge tank. Or use the 180 for fresh water and 55 for salt water. Just till you get your feet wet.

Source(s): Go ahead give me thumbs down everyone. This is my opinion.
  • Rohn

There isn't much of advantage over 150 gallon. This is not like comapring 20 gallon with a 55.

Pick the one you like and that suit your price. If this is intended for saltwater tank, remember that you will changing 20% of the water at least every 2 weeks. And that will cost you in the salt mixes. So keep that in mind when you decide.

If one is reef ready, get that one over the one that isn't. Reef ready tanks are simply the ones that have built drilled holes for the over flow.

-rds

With a deal like that, go for the 180g!! But with such an immaculate tank, it deserves something much more than goldfish! Go with a freshwater tank. It will end up costing ALOT less- and a saltwater tank that size can cost thousands! I'd say go with a fish that will grow to a good size. You dont want your tank to look empty! Oscar fish are good fish for a 180g. Oscar fish require medium-large size substrate, having 1 OR 6 is best, great tankmates are plecos, jack dempseys, convicts, ONE pacu, etc... Hope I'm some help and good luck !

Source(s): personal experience

go with the 180 good price and freshwater water tank than put the goldfish in and make the 55 gallon tank a salt water tank

18 years experience with fish

Def go for the 180

I mean if you have limitless money go for Saltwater

but since you prob dont :( i would say go Fresh Water)

You can get some great fish

The african cichlids would be amazing in a tank that size if you had rock work in it

but i personally love Central and South American Cichlids

A nice managuense would go great in there maybe a peacock bass

i would get the one 180,

and you should probably stick with fresh water, salt water is for people hell bent on going saltwater, but that said a 180 gal would make one sweet reef tank

Bigger is better.

Freshwater is easier than saltwater.

you will need

Substrate

Filter

heater

decor

Plants(live is better) if live co2 system

Gravel vac. Such as the "Python"

As to the cost of what you will need you will have to check out the local fish/pet stores near you and check out some online pet/fish stores.

Source(s): fishlore.com 50ys of living 3 freshwater tanks

Freshwater fish are easier to take care of and you can find some really stunning fish. You should probably not have any saltwater fish.