is civil engineer good now a days?

i am in high school and i looking a couple of careers i might do and i was wondering if civil engineer is good? and if their is any other better engineer job... thank you

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There will always be a need for civil engineers, but like almost all other careers right now it is a slow field in most states right now. Civil engineering itself is a broad field that includes many different specialties - transportation, structural, environmental, water and sewers, site development, etc. Civil engineering is in no way a dead end field, though the starting salaries do tend to be the lowest of most types of engineering. The country will always be improving its infrastructure and developing. When the economy slows so do those types of projects. Florida is really hurting now because it is one of the highest states for foreclosures and was booming for development for a while, so now that that has stopped many engineers aren't needed.

But when the economy rebounds, and even now to an extent with the stimulus package, there will always be people hiring civil engineers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The employment outlook for civil engineers is abysmal. In the state of Florida, I have heard of hundreds of layoffs of civil engineers over the past year and more are on the way. It will take years for the civil engineering profession to recover from this blow and the salaries to get back to where they should be for 5 years of high advanced physics, math and engineering classes.

Civil Engineers are always the lowest paid types of engineers in normal times but now civil engineers are taking massive pay cuts just to keep their jobs.

It is a dead end profession and I wouldn't recommend anyone getting into it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i do chemical engineering and so i think civil engineering is for losers

Source(s): although it is thought to be pretty worthwhile by others
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.