If I connect an ACgenerator in parallel to the AC supply, how can I tell which way the current is flowing,?

I asked this question yesterday and many of you in the community have been good enough to take time to reply, thanks to you all. I am indeed aware of the need to synchronise and ensure phase compatibility, also the regulations concerned with such operations in the UK, but the question itself has not yet been... show more I asked this question yesterday and many of you in the community have been good enough to take time to reply, thanks to you all. I am indeed aware of the need to synchronise and ensure phase compatibility, also the regulations concerned with such operations in the UK, but the question itself has not yet been addressed, please limit you response to the question,

"If I connect an ACgenerator in parallel to the AC supply, how can I tell which way the current is flowing,?
I know an ammeter will show current, but on AC it won't show current direction. I need to know when the generator is drawing on the supply so it can be disconnected. I need to know when the generator is feeding the supply so it can be kept connected. It is a privately owned supply from another generator."

My personal view is that a Wattmeter may give an indication of current flow as it will give a negative reading with reverse current flow. What does the community think.