Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Does Texas owe it's entire football legacy to Oklahoma?

The Texas Longhorns were A&M's little beotch-boy until Darrell Royal came from Oklahoma and made them into something. Royal is by far the most important person in Longhorn history. He was from Hollis, Oklahoma, and played for, and mentored under the greatest coach ever- Bud Wilkinson at OU. Royal singlehandedly put Texas on the football map.

Should Texas pay homage to Oklahoma before every game in appreciation of what we did for them? Maybe fly the Oklahoma flag over Austin?

Your thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Royal

Robert C-

you are hereby kicked out of Sooner Nation for being a pansy!

Favorite Answer

Got to give Royal credit... He was 4-0 against Bear Bryant.

Once again bevo, your hatred of all things crimson amazes me. Give OU a break. If it weren't for OU, you would never even have the "possibility" of getting beat during the season. After all, you never play anybody in non-conference who's good, and aside from OU have no realistic threat of getting beat on a year in, year out basis in the Big XII. We keep you guys grounded and keep you from being bored. Also, I was an athletic trainer in texas high schools for 6 years back in the 90's and I can safely say that the talent level in texas is far superior to oklahoma high school talent. When i lived down there, i saw a 3A texas school that could beat Jenks and Union here in Oklahoma. Vernon, texas has a weight room the size of a gym and they're 3A and were awesome. I give you crap a lot, but I love the rivalry. I just wish they'd make the RRS a home and home game instead of the dump that is the cotton bowl.

haha, that's a good one. =) i love the sooners but i dont think that texas owes it to oklahoma that much. i think texas wouldve built up a good team on their own even if Darrell Royal didnt go to UT. Even though he did build up texas, i dont think they have to wave our flag. There were also other coaches who came from different colleges and built their new teams up. Sorry, but i still LOVE the sooners.

This is a good one! no matter how long you look at it Oklahoma will always be above Texas, and Texas will always be under Oklahoma! if you disagree with me just look at the map of the United States of America. LOL!

• Hades

What interesting questions and bold assertions you have made.

Texas' all-time record and winning percentage against Texas A&M before Royal was hired:

38 wins-16 losses-3 ties (.693 win %)

Texas' all-time record and winning percentage against Texas A&M as of now:

74 wins-36 losses-5 ties (.665 win %)

Texas' all-time record and winning percenage against Oklahoma before Royal was hired:

29 wins-19 losses-1 tie (.602 win %)

Texas' all-time record and winning percentage against Oklahoma as of now:

58 wins-40 losses-5 ties (.587 win %)

Those records lead me to believe Texas had managed some success against both opponents before Royal was brought in from the Washington Huskies. However, I'm sure the greatest college football coach Oklahoma has ever produced at least performed adequately as the Texas football stadium bears his name.

Now would you say Oklahoma owes its entire football legacy to Minnesota due to Bud Wilkinson's origin, Texas for the vast amount of talent they've provided, or should the two states split the credit?

Source(s): First I copied Texas' all-time results http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-fo... Then I copied Texas' all-time results v. opponents http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-fo... Then I painstakenly counted each time Texas had played Texas A&M and Oklahoma before Royal was hired and recorded the result. Once that process was completed, I calculated the winning percentages. Simple enough.

Hades-

Get off of here you freaking troll!

Look at page #2 of his Q&A. He got like 20 best answers in a row!

Texas doesnt owe anything to Oklahoma just because texas had a former OU coach doesnt mean anything

As a Sooner fan, I don't condone this sort of trash talk.

Hell, Barry Switzer was from Arkansas....should we fly their flag?

I know, OU was a powerhouse before that, but just saying..

I have much respect for Texas. I root for them as long as they are not playing OU or OSU.

Source(s): I guess our definitions of "Sooner Nation" differ...as I was born and raised a Sooner fan. I will always be a part of Sooner Nation. I have just grown up and gotten past the trash talking stage. I will accept your pansy comment, no sweat. Boomer Sooner.
  • ?

ever heard of "dana x bible"?