Christian brothers and sisters, what does it mean to " gain Christ' in these verses?

Phil 3:7-8

But what things were gained to me, these I have counted as loss on account of Christ.

But moreover, I also count all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse THAT I MAY GAIN CHRIST"

Share on this particular phrase, what does this mean to you in your daily christian experience." That I may gain Christ."

Thank You for considering this portion and for sharing on it.

In Christ

sandy

• Best Answer

By gain Christ I think he means to progressively enjoy more of being like Christ, and being in the place of enjoying being a son or daughter of God; growing in love and grace. When he was proud of his religious upbringing and training he was not responding to the grace of God indeed ignored it until the Damascus encounter. Similarly he wanted to be friends and be well regarded by those who were highly regarded. So he had by the time of the letter thoroughly recognised all those desires as worldliness, and came to regard it as worthless, and so then he could develop in his relationship with Christ, and enjoy eternal life more and more. In his behaviour he would become more and more like Christ.

I'm most certainly not as far along this road as I would like to be !

• Fuzzy

An answerer mentioned it might have something to do with being born again. The likelihood of that in view of a direct interpretation is unlikely.

Why? The phrase "that I may gain" refers to a future time for Paul. Paul already was born again -

Paul already had many revelations from Christ, in abundance as he tells us. He was living the holy life. So what could he be referring to?

It would seem that only one thing was left. Before that, what points were made before that? That he had to consider all things refuse to be able to "gain Christ."

Here in Heb 12:14, Paul says, "Pursue peace with everyone, as well as holiness, without which no one will see the Lord."

Isn't this what he is talking about? Anyone who receives the first resurrection and is one of the saints has to leave all earthly things behind. House, family, friends, money, pets, and the family car, must be left behind - to see the Lord. To see the Lord then isn't that "gaining Christ."

This is why all who are saints has a longing to be away from their earthly tent, to receive their reward and become as Christ in a new spiritual, heavenly body.

Loss: This word indicates that which is damaged or of no further use (v. 8 Acts 27: 10,21 ). Those things that Paul thought to be important became unimportant after co confronting the resurrected Messiah.

Excellence: The value of knowing Christ surpasses all else ( 2:3, 4:7 )

Rubbish This word means anything that is detestable or worthless. All things of this world are rubbish compared to Jesus Christ

I may gain: The former gain ( see v 7) is here substituted for the latter gain: Christ Jesus ( see 1:21 )

He's contrasting the "gain" with the word "loss".

I believe he's talking about the "born again" experience and just describing it a different way. He's talking about beginning a new life that starts here and continues on into eternity, so the gain is much more than just being happier or having a positive outlook. He'd begun the process of having eternal joy.

To me it means that there is nothing that I do that isn't impacted by my relationship with Christ. Everything that I do is changed by the knowledge that I have hope beyond my physical life and don't have to be as afraid of death as I used to be. Death just hangs like a cloud over people when they have no idea what happens afterward.

PHILIPPIANS 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

PHILIPPIANS 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

PHILIPPIANS 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Source(s): "'The one book that is essential for all to study is the Bible. Studied with reverence and Godly fear, it is the greatest of all educators. In it there is no sophistry. Its pages are filled with truth. Would you gain a knowledge of God and Christ. Whom He sent into the world to live and die for sinners? An earnest, diligent study of the Bible is necessary in order to gain this knowledge. "'Many of the books piled up in the great libraries of earth, confuse the mind more than they aid the understanding. Yet men spend large sums of money in the purchase of such books, and years in their study, when they have within their reach a book containing the Words of Him who is the Alpha and Omega of wisdom. The time spent in a study of these books might better be spent in gaining a knowledge of Him Whom to know aright is life eternal. Those only who gain this knowledge will at last hear the words, "Ye are complete in Him."

It means getting closer to Christ, but we have to give up some of ourselves to take on more of the nature of Christ in our lives. We have to become more of a living sacrifice, holy acceptable unto God which is our reasonable service (Romans 12:1-2). To know him is to love him. It's not about religion but about knowing Christ. Praise the Lord, he is good all the time.

• Yoda

Those things acquired for materialistic purposes used for enjoyment of sensual pleasure; without any righteous purpose, and brought with desire of ownership of said material product or person, these acquisitions bind the Soul to materialistic attitudes and detach the Soul from Spiritual values and attitudes.

Purchases or relationships which are acquired for a righteous goal, and are inspired without any desire of ownership for ownerships sake; and are maintained only whilst they provide righteous value, or otherwise relinquished: Such acquisitions keep the Soul focused upon Spiritual values and attitudes, which Christ taught.

Profit can be materialistic profit OR Spiritual profit. To gain Christ'ness; one must adopt the values of Christ and relinquish attachment to materialistically acquired material wealth which serves no righteous purpose. All actions need to be inspired by righteousness or they bring ones Soul into bondage with coveting attitudes.

What we have in Jesus Christ is the only thing we have that is not worthless, if what we do and have doesn't reflect Jesus then its worthless. people have often asked what is the purpose of life and why are we here, the answer is that we were created to glorify God, for His pleasure. In my life i want nothing apart from God, all i have and all i can ever hope to be is nothing w/o Him. Blessings to you....

Paul was talking about the Old Testament approach to gaining salvation. In the first few verses of the third chapter of his letter he makes it clear that he had been circumcised as an infant - as the law required. When he grew up, he studied the law and became an expert in the law - as the law required. Then as a maturing adult Paul strived to conform his behavior to the letter of the law - as the law required.

I think Paul was saying that the things that were commonly sought after in life were actually obstacles to getting closer to Jesus. That's why he didn't say that the things he used to value are now only meaningless to him. He didn't call them meaningless because they were actually destructive to Paul's relationship with God. He realized that the things he used to view as gains were actually losses - not just worthless, but actually harmful things.

Paul's desire to gain Christ led him to realize that he needed to release the things he had previously valued. He needed to regard old methods of gaining salvation as not useful. The reason Paul now saw those old things as worse than useless was that they took a great deal of effort and attention. To waste so much effort and attention is not only not beneficial, but it is actually destructive because we have only a limited amount of time and attention. When we invest our time and attention toward wasteful things, we are thereby prevented from doing the things we need to do.

The Old Law took a very legalistic and technical approach to salvation. One had to study the law, be an expert in the law, and follow the law strictly. All that rigid focus on the law takes away from one's ability to "Love thy neighbor", as Jesus taught us to do. Paul had been a pharisee. Jesus frequently accused the pharisees of strictly imposing religious laws on others while using the technical but twisted applications of those same laws to make life easy on themselves.

Paul learned from Jesus that it was not good enough to have a mental expertise in the law - even if one were to follow all the rules of the law precisely. Jesus taught Paul that God wants us to make a true conversion in our hearts. From our converted hearts we are to let the Love and Mercy of Jesus Christ shine through to our neighbors.

Jesus came to teach us to show others love, mercy and forgiveness. Paul knew that he had previously not applied these virtues to his relations with other people. Paul also knew that he had previously thought his expertise in the law made it possible for him to earn his salvation. That belief interfered with his need to be submissive toward God. Paul learned from Jesus that he could not earn salvation and that he needed to admit that he was utterly unfit for salvation. Paul learned that salvation was something that would involve his doing good works, but that his works would not earn him salvation.

Paul was saying throughout his letters that we all need to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord, and that this acceptance is our route to salvation.

I am Roman Catholic.

I hope I have been helpful to you.

Peace be with you.

• Esther

Paul is comparing all he ever had as worth nothing next to knowing who Jesus is.