My dogs keep getting in the trash. what can I do to prevent this?

my dogs are 7 and 8 years old. they got in the garbage when they were puppies but never since then. it has been easily 5 years since they got in the garbage. but everyday for the last month or two they get in the garbage. it is to cold outside right now for us to leave them outside while we go to work and we... show more my dogs are 7 and 8 years old. they got in the garbage when they were puppies but never since then. it has been easily 5 years since they got in the garbage. but everyday for the last month or two they get in the garbage. it is to cold outside right now for us to leave them outside while we go to work and we can't kennel them because they are getting old and cant hold there potty for that long. why are they doing this again?
Update: we have been putting the trash up but the only place they cant reach it is the kitchen counter and that is not sanitay at all.
Update 2: and it is a little rediculious that I need to dog proof my house when they are old enough to know better and havent done it in years