What kind of environmental career would I like?

I know I want to have a job where I can help the environment in some way. I'm just not sure exactly what those jobs are, or where they are located.

I'm not sure if I want to go to school for environmental studies, or engineering, and then maybe get a masters in environmental engineering.

Here are some examples of what I would like to be able to do as work:

1) To be able to talk to the head of some big company, and discuss with them how they could make their company more eco-friendly without losing too much money.

2) Research. Maybe collect different samples, then research in a scientific lab to figure out how humans are hurting the environment, and what we can do to fix it.

3) Design things. Maybe work on something new and eco-friendly. Improve a wind farm, work on a new hybrid car, come up with better ways of recycling things, etc.

I'm just not sure exactly what type of job I should aim towards if I enjoy these types of things? Knowing where I want to end up really motivates me. It also helps me figure out exactly what to go to college for.

So- any ideas as to what type of career I would like, and what type of schooling I would need to get there?

And also- where I would be able to find the job you think is for me. Like- in a big city, in a rural area, along the coast, or if I could find a job like that anywhere, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

Favorite Answer

There are any number of environmental careers these days in many different areas. So it all depends on what you are interested in. With the three options you have given, you could get jobs in the following areas:

1) Sounds like a job as a campaigner with an organisation such as greenpeace who lobby campanies to rethink their policies which are harming the environment.

2)To do you research you will need a science degree such as environemtal science, and usually you will need a postgraduate degree that involves a research such as masters. There are many different areas you can do research in, but maybe you can figure that out while at college.

3) This sounds like an engineering job. You could design things like solar panels to go on houses etc, so you would need to study a form of engineering at college.

Hope this helps. Hard to say which one would suit you more without knowing you.

it sounds like you would be a great campaigner for an environmental career