How can I write em dash (the long hyphen) using my keyboard...?

I've tried typing hyphen twice and all I get is two hyphens. I tried to do the Alt procedure on that "special" part of my lap top to no avail. Can someone please give me simple instructions on what I'm doing wrong, i.e.how can I create an em dah (the enlongated hyphen that can often be used... show more I've tried typing hyphen twice and all I get is two hyphens. I tried to do the Alt procedure on that "special" part of my lap top to no avail.

Can someone please give me simple instructions on what I'm doing wrong, i.e.how can I create an em dah (the enlongated hyphen that can often be used like a colon), e.g. do I need to somehow "enable" that area of the keyboard which corresponds to Alt plus numerals?

Thank you.
Update: shift + dash produces underscore though, not em dash. I'm tried ctrl + sht dash to no avail as well.