Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

How can I write em dash (the long hyphen) using my keyboard...?

I've tried typing hyphen twice and all I get is two hyphens. I tried to do the Alt procedure on that "special" part of my lap top to no avail.

Can someone please give me simple instructions on what I'm doing wrong, i.e.how can I create an em dah (the enlongated hyphen that can often be used like a colon), e.g. do I need to somehow "enable" that area of the keyboard which corresponds to Alt plus numerals?

Thank you.

shift + dash produces underscore though, not em dash. I'm tried ctrl + sht dash to no avail as well.

Best Answer

If it's a laptop without a number pad, you have to hit NumLock first, to turn that area into a number pad.

• Sandra

If you are writing on a word process, such as Microsoft word, the dash is not a long hyphen, it is a dash. But you do need to use the hyphen button to get the dash. Here's what you do: 1. Type whatever you're typing, then press 'space' 2. Press the 'hyphen' button 3. Press another 'space' and keep typing. 4. After you press 'space' after the word proceeding the ordinary hyphen, the hyphen should automatically turn into a dash. If not, go back to the dash, and press the enter key (then backspace so it's where you want it). That should work. It's not this complicated, I just want to make sure you understand. And by the way, it won't work on websites like this or other internet areas, but it will work on a word processor. So go on and get to interrupting dialogue! :)

• gagen

Em Dash On Keyboard

Dash On Keyboard

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can someone please give me simple instructions on what I'm doing wrong, i.e.how can I create an em dah (the enlongated hyphen that can...

Source(s): write em dash long hyphen keyboard: https://biturl.im/0cS0l

To form an em dash on most PCs, type the first word, then hold down the ALT key while typing 0151 on the numerical pad on the right side of your keyboard.

Note the use of the numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard. Using the number keys at the top will not work.

press shift and hyphen simultaneously.

all u gotta do is press shift and that button at the same time