HELLLPP....Bromobenzene reaction with Magnesium to create its grignard reagent?

I cant figure out how to balance the equation....im trying to see which one is excess and which one is limited...(I cant connect the things ive learned in gen chem to this problem)....is it already in a 1 to 1 molar ratio...PLZZZ HELP FASTTT THANKSss

Update:

oh ok nvm i got it.. sorry i didnt give the mass of each product, but i guess all i needed to know was that 1 mole of each reactant produces one mole of product (their all 1 to 1)...and yah in my experiment the Bromobenzene is in excess...thanks for answering so fast!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Mg(s) turnings are in excess. In organic, the reagents are usually in excess to the organic starting material, which is generally for economical reasons (magnesium metal is a lot cheaper than bromobenzene). Reaction is simply : Mg (s) + C6H5Br ---> C6H5MgBr carried out in some solvent like Et2O or THF.

Source(s): organic chemist
  • jeb
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Magnesium Bromobenzene

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

HELLLPP....Bromobenzene reaction with Magnesium to create its grignard reagent?

I cant figure out how to balance the equation....im trying to see which one is excess and which one is limited...(I cant connect the things ive learned in gen chem to this problem)....is it already in a 1 to 1 molar ratio...PLZZZ HELP FASTTT THANKSss

Source(s): helllpp bromobenzene reaction magnesium create grignard reagent: https://tr.im/yDKEF
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

2 Ph-Br + 2 Mg = 2 Ph-Mg-Br + Br^_

Hey this is the basic equation . & Ph stands for phenyl Whose molecular formula is C6H5-

I hope this helps you :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.