Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What do you think of the lawsuits over saying "Merry X-Mas"?

So here there are lawsuits (kind of old news) over stores saying Merry Christmas. It is common to say Happy Holidays so people that are not Christian will not become offended. I personally think people just look for ways to get money. We can no longer say Merry Christmas? I understand people are different religions and beliefs but do people REALLY get offended that someone dared to say Merry Christmas?

I didn't know if I should put this in religion or christmas section =/

Let me add a few things. I know there were lawsuits. It was all over the news awhile ago. No I don't have the sources. I don't know if they won. I don't know if stores say "Happy Holidays" because of the lawsuits or just pressure. I personally don't care what they say. I do think it stupid to have lawsuits over what is "proper to say" during the holidays.

and from what I understand,nobody knows Christs actually birthday, but most scholars agree that it was not on the official "Christmas." Which is besides the point.

I was just wondering what people thought about the whole saying Merry Christmas is offensive. Nothing more.

/sigh okay if it makes you happy reverse it. There are lawsuits over saying or NOT saying Merry Christmas. Either way it is stupid IMO. To honestly give that much thought over a phrase said in a store is a waste of time. Although I guess I can't say that since I posted the question and am sitting here talking about it. I just remember seeing it on the news. However many months or years ago. Sorry I can't give you sources Michelle. It was just a question that I thought of while browsing the catagories.

Favorite Answer

I don't know of any lawsuits that really went anywhere.

I am agnostic, but Christmas is a big cultural thing as well as a religious thing and I celebrate it even if I don't follow Christ.

If someone wishes me well, I appreciate the sentiment rather than focusing on the words.

I had a friend that worked at a store as a cashier, and she just said "Happy Holidays" to some women absent mindedly. The woman challenged her, asking if she was told she had to say that. She explained that she was not Christian and she just felt like saying that then. The woman got all huffy and said " Well, my pastor told me not to shop anywhere that said 'Happy Holidays', they should say 'Merry Christmas'!". She replied something along the lines of "Well, the owners of this store are Jewish, so Happy Hanukkah!!"

1. The "X" in "X-mas" is the first letter of the word Christ in Greek and has long been used by Christians. It is NOT anti-Christian! Why don't more Christians know the history of their own religion?

2. "Happy Holidays" incorporates not only the holidays of other religions happening around the same time, but also New Year's. Many people, including many Christians, have long refered to a "holiday season" not just "Christmas day". Why do Christians need to believe December is all about them and only them?

3. Ask yourself: why do you NEED to hear strangers taking your money for a purchase say, "Merry Christmas" to you? It doesn't matter to me if they say it, but it shouldn't matter to a Christian if they don't. Why are Christians so narcissitic?

Edit: you insist there have been lawsuits to keep people from saying, "Merry Christmas", yet you cannot find any sources for your claim. Perhaps you are confusing lawsuits to try to either remove creches from government property or allow other groups to put up their own displays with the non-existent "war on Christmas". In addition, it is Christians who have filed lawsuits against stores for NOT saying "Merry Christmas", etc. One source for that is USA Today in 2004: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-12-21-hol...

And, in case you are not aware of this: there is a vast difference between a government entity and private property. A store can do what they want religiously, but the government cannot and should not be able to, nor should ANYONE want it to.

~Atheist, ex-fundie-Xian, former New Ager

I have never heard of even one lawsuit against anyone saying "merry christmas", there is no ban on that saying unless you are a right wing nutjob

Many shops see "merry christmas" as something that might stop some nonchristian shoppers from going there so they choose a neutral saying like "happy holidays" in an attempt to draw shoppers from all beliefs. The bottom line is a store is privately owned business and can say whatever they want, whether it be merry christmas, happy holidays, or happy fetivus. And as much as some hate to admit it, the world does not revolve around Christianity.

Are there actually people being sued over saying "Merry Christmas" or is this some paranoid Christians ****? Because I suspect it's just paranoia, but then the United States is lawsuit-giddy and anyone can sue anyone for nearly anything, so it's always possible.

Anyway, if this is really happening it's terrible. If stores are simply opting to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" as a PR move or because they're bowing to community pressure or something, that's their choice.

So, who is doing the suing and is it about public government displays or just at stores? Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings are all perfectly fine in places that are not politically funded. Yes, it is old news. Why do you Christians insist on not understanding that you are not the only religion in this country?

SIck that we have to for go our customs to not offend immigrants. I put Merry Christmas on a web site and now I'm blocked for doing it yet there is this brute all ways shooting off his and beating up people so on the same web site I put down Bare knuckle fighter $100 reward to any one who wants to fight this guy. Even though the add was deleted I can still post on that site but in my other web site I still can't post any thing all for the sake of saying Merry Christmas but all so I made the Merry Christmas like a Christmas Tree.

• Leo

It doesn't happen nearly as often as people like Bill O'Reilly would have you believe. If anyone is causing tension during the holidays it's the religious right who target a store for saying "Happy Holidays" or a mall for not having a nativity scene. No one is suing stores to get them to NOT say Merry Christmas.

The X in Xmas does stand for something. As for Merry or Happy...I use the Merry in Merry Christmas.

Let them say Happy Holidays if they want, the root of Happy Holidays is Happy Holy Days a British Term, either way they lose unless they make it illegal to say anything in regards to this, every little thing is steeped in religious background, if they white wash the past, they will find no history left to tell in the schools as they are all influenced by the one true Creator God, it is like trying to take oxygen out of the air and still trying to breathe.

Actually that complaint came from other religions, primarily Jewish (not Atheist as was mentioned above).

Was huge news 2 years ago and stores began to say at the doors Happy Holidays.

Regardless, why should you say Merry Christmas as a christian? It's a pagan custom. Jesus wasn't born in December BTW. Catholic church adopted the date to coincide with the pagan holidays in hopes of converting pagans (didn't happen).