promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
R.R. asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

12% hydrogen peroxide on teeth?

is this too harmful of a concentration on my teeth for whitening purposes even if its left on the teeth for only a minute, or should i mix it with water/milk?

i dont plan on buying crest whitestrips, etc.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The content of hydrogen peroxide on tooth whitening is 1 part per million, I'm sure 12% is very strong if you apply it everyday. You better dilute it with water and use as gargle. Why do you need to whiten your tooth? I know it looks good if you have a very white teeth but white teeth are more prone to sensitivity and too much use of whitening solution can cause gum recession. Those teeth with a little shade of badge or yellow are the strong ones (not the yellow once that can be scrapped off, those are materia alba and it means that person did not brush their teeth for at least 3 days). If you really want your teeth to get white, as your dentist. There are a lot of procedure that your dentist can use that are safe for tooth whitening.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Teeth whitening system uses a hydrogen peroxide-based bleaching gel. This whitener comes prepackaged and ready to use. It has a 37% hydrogen peroxide concentration and a pH of around 7.

• plmdmd
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Its not too concentrated for the teeth, as a mater of fact, stronger concentration are often used to bleach teeth (up to 40%).

Nevertheless, this concentration is TOO CONCENTRATED for you to put in your mouth.. You will literally BURN your gingiva and mucosa.. The same reaction as if you put liver in a bowl of this peroxide... Just try it you will see..., You dont want to put that solution in your mouth after seeing that!

Do yourself a favor, NEVER do gargle with peroxyde in your mouth, you will just burn your tissue for no reason.

Anyway, it wouldnt bleach your teeth. the whitening solution used have to be on contact with the tooth for 1-8 hours and slowly transform to peroxyde.. just to gargle for 30 seconds would do nothing other than burn the soft tissues.

Source(s): I am a dentist
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.