Is wal-mart anti-America?

Wal-Mart Management Anti-Labor and Anti-America Worker

Posted by Kaz at 8/1/2008 12:39 PM

Categories: labor

Wal-Mart management is anti-labor and anti-American worker.

It does everything it can to keep its employees wages low and discriminate among its workers. Numerous class action lawsuits are evidence of that.

Wal-Mart's latest scandal treads into interference in voters rights by dictating in employee meetings by implication that employees should not vote Democratic.

From Reuters: "Wal-Mart Stores Inc said on Friday it has held meetings with U.S. store managers warning them of issues that could arise if Democrats win power and pass a law that would make it easier for workers to unionize, but stressed it was not telling workers how to vote.

"Wal-Mart opposes proposed legislation called the Employee Free Choice Act, which would make it easier for workers to unionize by signing a card rather than holding a vote."

"The Wall Street Journal reported that about a dozen employees who attended meetings in seven states said executives told them employees would be required to pay heftyunion dues and get nothing in return, and warned that unionization could force Wal-Mart to cut jobs as labor costs rise.

"The Journal report said Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings do not specifically tell attendees how to vote in November's presidential election, but they make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Senator Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in."

It's obvious that Wal-Mart is anti-labor, anti-union, and anti-Democratic Party. So why are Democratic members of Congress taking money from Wal-Mart?

Jonathan Tasini at Working Life fills us in: "There may be no corporation in American today that has been a more persistent, regular violator of the law than Wal-Mart. There may be no corporation in America that has been as virulently anti-union

• Doc
    Favorite Answer

The answer depends upon your perspective.

If you look at it from the vista of unions driving up the cost of goods and services, and Walmart's priding itself on offering the lowest prices in town, you might see it differently. People want it cheap and convenient. Paying out union wages is a guaranteed increase in cost. Opening that flood gate, not only do you have to contend with higher wages on the floor, but also insurance, unemployment benefits and retiree benefits. All combined (for the auto industry) the average hourly payout is just under $100 an hour. So, as a consumer, do you want it cheap or do you want to feel good knowing you're paying for the retirement and benefits of your fellow worker? It's your money and you can't REALLY have it both ways.

If instead, you want to begrudge someone their pay and successes and are willing to coerce your way into getting your own slice of the pie. By all means, be my guest and go union. Band together and go for everything you can get. But understand that businesses are in the business of making money and when you demand higher wages, shorter hours, insurance and a retirement plan (paid for by the company) then don't complain when the cost of living goes up and they push for NAFTA -- which is at the root for today's economy.

Perhaps then, union laborers should do the right thing, not be hypocrites and avoid shopping at non-union stores, regardless of the savings. They do after all, make higher wages than do the non-union people who actually NEED the financial break. Making the kind of money they do, they can afford to pay a little more.

A company should not preach politics to its employees, but education is a wonderful tool and if they can give insight into the big picture about what one can expect given a specific action (like voting for one political party over another) then so be it.

America was founded on the ability of an individual to amass both land and wealth. George Washington was able to turn 5,000 acres into some 220,000 acres with a bank acount to match. At that time, only the aristocracy could do that.

As for me, I took my last $5,000 and started a business. Last year, my 4th year in business, I pulled just under $100,000. Because I took the gamble, should I not reap the rewards? I take care of my employees and they take care of me. I refuse to hire union.

Source(s): I compete with a national chain and am doing extremely well. I undercut their prices at every opportunity and make a killing doing so.

Capitalism is a business making a profit. Most people are in the business so they can take the profit and pay the employees, maintain the buildings, pay shareholders and build more stores. The urban legend that Walmart is antimamerican is bunk. Some small towns had a few mom and pop business close down when a walmart showed up. But that is becaues mom and pop stores were very limited in stock and overpriced. People will go to the store where they can save money and get a variety of selection that is what draws people there but I don't think anymore than Costco, Sam's Club,Kmart or Target. The media just loves to use propaganda in order to destroy people and business.. they are vicious wolves. Isn't anyone noticing this?

That depends highly upon what you view on american is.

If capitalism at all costs is you idea of america - Wal-Mart is the ultimate american entireprise.

Wal-Mart Is their own economy with purchasing power into the multi billions. The allows for a very backwards idea of business. Suppliers do not set the price of the goods they sell to wal-mart. Wal-Mart tells suppliers how much they will pay. As a result this does lead to manufacturers (suppliers) finding more cost effective means of manufacturing, which results in out sourcing.

Then end result is you pay 10 cents less for Pepsi, however they shut down a plant in small town USA and move it abroad so they can manufacture their product cheaper, maintaining their margins and meeting Wal-Mart's price.

Another element of wal-marts low prices is they absolutley do pay the bare minimum to workers, offer few benefits (if any) and have a nasty little habit of employing just under the state of provincial mimum hours to deem an employee - full time. So you have a workforce of part-time workers. Part time workers who do not get benefits - who will barely make enough to draw a living wage. Workers who stay, not becuase they want to but becuase they have to. You see, walmart has a tendency to open a store and knock out main street and all of those family run business is an area who do pay a living wage, who do value employers and who do foster loyalty not out of necessity, but out of will.

As a side note - wal-mart rarely gives back to the community which supports it. Very few participate in sponsoring local event - sports teams- food / clothing drives. They are not a contributing member of the community.

So if capitalism at all costs - namely your community is your idea of america - Wal-Mart is the place for you.

However if you idea of America the land of opportunity - a community filled with successful family run businesses. A main street lined with shops and boutiques to serve every fancy. Then you like me - you probably don't like wal-mart.

walmart cashes in on -- and contributes to the worsening condition of, as your article outlines -- the underclass explosion that came in the wake of Reagan and the Bushes. People buy from China because 1) no longer afford better and 2) America no longer manufactures durable goods. We are a nation of clerks selling Chinese goods back and forth to each other. The horrific truth.

There is no doubt that Wal-Mart bends, stretches, and sometimes even abuses the law.

I choose not to shop there. Partially because of unfair practices, but more because my local store has dozens of checkout lanes and never staffs more than three of them. The shopping experience is inconvenient there, so I give my money to someone else.

No.

Bottom line -- nobody is forced to work, or shop, at Wal-Mart. And yet the parking lot is always full and there is no lack of people lining up for jobs at Wal-Mart.

Yes.

Try finding a product made in America there.

Shop local. For every dollar you spend at a local store you put 70cents into the local economy but when you shop at a big box store like Wal-mart you're only putting thirty cents back into the local economy.

you mean like every other company that screws it employees. what did north wests union get. oh what nothing the people were replaced in a day when they went on strike.

Yes but they are cheap and that's whats more important. it's real funny I was at a union Meeting where they where decrying Company abuse of workers and sweatshop chinese uniforms they are required to wear and the Sodas and other refreshments where bought from Walmart they even had the walmart bags laying on the table.LOL! Libs!

and you're free to boycott Wal-Mart