Should the British adapt American spelling?

English spelling system is inefficient : you need 't-h-o-u-g-h-t' - 7 letters to spell a word with one & half syllables. Think how much time we could save with a shorter spelling. So why not use the American spelling - even if it's shorter by one letter ( 'favor' for... show more English spelling system is inefficient : you need 't-h-o-u-g-h-t' - 7 letters to spell a word with one & half syllables. Think how much time we could save with a shorter spelling.
So why not use the American spelling - even if it's shorter by one letter ( 'favor' for 'favour') ?
Don't be flurried : British & Americans are both good at misspelling words ! I propose to change the spelling whenever it's shorter just because it would save time.
Update: Nathan : I'm NOT an American! To all who took the example of 't-h-o-u-g-h-t' thoughtlessly - I was simply trying to point out how short words have long spellings. I DON'T propose that we invent a different spelling system for English ( as George B. Shaw suggested once ! To quote his words... show more Nathan : I'm NOT an American!
To all who took the example of 't-h-o-u-g-h-t' thoughtlessly - I was simply trying to point out how short words have long spellings. I DON'T propose that we invent a different spelling system for English ( as George B. Shaw suggested once !
To quote his words -" If invention of a shorter spelling system of English for Englishmen should incur a civil war, i would not grudge it".)