I made $500 last year should I file income tax?

Ok I got a job in December it was supposed to be just seasonal but it ended up being permanent. I got my W2 for making about $500, I didnt work anywhere else all of last year and didn't get unemployment. So my question should I file my income taxed? I had to move in with my parent and I just did odd jobs all year but I dont have a record off all that I got paid cause it wasn't a lot. I feel stupid going to file my taxed just for $500. what should I do.

• Bob F
    Favorite Answer

If you have anything in box 2 of the W2, you can get that back if you file. If you have anything in box 16, you can get that back if you file a state return.

• Judy

The income from those odd jobs is also taxable. If the amount was over $400 you are required to file.

• kuhle

If it grow to be on a W-2, no could desire to record federal, althouth if there is something in container 2 on your W-2, you could record and get it refunded. If container 2 is sparkling or 0, no reason to record federal. in accordance with the place you reside, you will could desire to record state and native. If the $500 wasn't on a W-2, you could desire to record federal.

If you only made that much the IRS is not looking for a return from you. However if they took some out, which can't be much, you could get that back probably in a refund.

Did you have any witholding for your federal and state tax? If so, and you want to claim back those, then may be you want to file. Sometimes, the witholding amount is so small that you don't want to bother to get them back.

If you had any income tax withheld, file to get it refunded, otherwise don't bother.