Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What movie is this? (Oldie)?

I remember seeing a long time ago a movie about three hunters or poachers in Africa that are captured by a tribe Two of them are killed while one of them escapes and does what he can to survive while they are trying to hunt him. It's an oldie, probably from either the 50's or 60's.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

The Naked Prey (1966)

starring Cornel Wilde (also director), Gert Van den Bergh, Ken Gampu, Patrick Mynhardt, Morrison Gampu

IMDb synopsis:

A group of men are on safari. One of the party refuses to give a gift to a tribe they encounter. The tribe is offended, seizes the party, and one-by-one, kills all but one of the safari members in various creative and horrifying ways. The last surviving member is given "The Lion's Chance" by the tribal leader to be hunted down by a party of tribal warriors. Naked and weaponless he is set loose, the hunters hot on his heels, beginning a life-or-death hunt through wild Africa.

Here's the movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bQc_rZumOw

Youtube thumbnail

TRIVIA:

The script was originally a true historical incident about a trapper named John Colter being pursued by Blackfoot Indians in Wyoming, but lower shooting costs, tax breaks and material and logistical assistance offered by South Africa convinced Cornel Wilde and the other producers to shoot the film there.

Wilde said in interviews at the time that that scene in which his character turns and is narrowly missed by a spear was an accident that could have been gruesomely real, but the scene worked and was kept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This movie was released when I was about 15 years old, so I was able to see it in the theater. I don't know if it was a box-office hit everywhere, but it certainly was popular in this region. I've always been a Cornel Wilde admirer~the actor and the man himself. Among other things, he was a champion fencer with the U.S. Olympic fencing team but quit the team prior to the 1936 Berlin Olympics in order to take a theatrical role.

• Tom R

i think your talking about a movie that starred richard harris . i think its name is - a man called horse. harris has a beard in the movie if im not mistaken. was pretty cool