Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Since Islam lacks any historical/scientific/etc inaccuracies but actually has accuracies, should I convert?

Like with the God theory, it is not provable as there is no evidence whatsoever for the existence of a God. But there's no evidence against, such as scientific proof that there can indeed be no existence outside of Space-Time (and the sudden emergence of Space-Time via the Big Bang is quite random and the requirement of a cause for it is the only conclusion humans are able to truly come to).

Unlike the Bible with its mathematical (and therefore blatant and undeniable/indisputable) contradictions and whatnot, there are no contradictions or scientific errors in the Koran that can truly be considered as being absolutely 100% undeniable and indisputable.

In fact, there are things that sound very similar to modern Science in the Koran such as the Big Bang. I know it sounds stupid, but why not actually take the time out to check study some of it? And I don’t mean on the stretched-interpretations pro-Islamic websites but with the Yusuf Ali translation of the Koran (of which can be found at the site Sacred Texts).

There are a few documents people have claimed to be the Koran’s sources, and the discrediting of such claims has surprised me (since it seems highly improbable that an entire document like the Koran can lack historical inaccuracy 100% (there are others such as the claim of Crucifixion in Egyptian times, even though it actually doesn’t describe Crucifixion on a cross which was the only type of crucifixion non-existent at the time.

“Targum received its final form after the Arab conquest of the Middle East and chronology of rabbinic literature is better today than ever before, and many more texts - Muslim, Jewish, and Christian - have since being published. In the light of this we know now that in some instances what was thought to be a Jewish haggadic influence in an Islamic text might well be quite the reverse”…”The Pirqe de Rabbi Eli'ezer, for example, would seem to have been finally redacted after the advent of Islam”. And finally…”the manuscript Tanhuma dates most likely from the end of the ninth century and is an incomplete version, as it contains new material only on the first three books of Moses; the other two are alike in both”.

The opinions regarding these three “sources” above are those of modern scholars.

There are also numerous gospels claimed to be the Koran’s sources such as the Pseudo-Gospel of Matthew which is the only one proven to exactly match information in the Koran, but was arranged in the 2nd century by St. Jerome under the request of a council organized by bishop Irenaeus to collect genuine historical information on Christ’s childhood (Irenaeus also wrote that Christ WAS crucified but survived it and lived a natural life. This is in total agreement with the Koranic account and of course they would think it was actually him on the cross at the time rather than a divinely-inspired illusion).

The corpus of dated texts containing the Koran from 1-100 AH / 622-719 CE appear to prove the early codification of the Koran in Arabic, and there are also historical references to Muhammad verifying that he was preaching about the God of Abraham and claiming Prophethood i.e. non-Muslim account of bishop Sebos.

So since we have historical verification of Muhammad being a historical arab prophet, we must ask how he suddenly went from being a humble preacher to so militantly zealous upon exile and went through the trouble of just randomly founding a religion. If he did it for power, how could he have foreseen that and surely he must have been mad to see it through or even think he could pull it off, raising the possibility he really did think he was doing the will of God, and that thus raises the possibility even more that he thought at one time that he was actually experiencing a supernatural revelation.

So the historical reliability of the Islamic tradition of Muhammad is there, and all that is required, according to the religion, is Faith. The Koran cannot be proven, but what is astounding is that it can’t be disproved. Is it really conceivable that a historical document as long as the Koran contains no errors in any way at all?

With the above information, would it be wise of me to have faith/trust in Islam?

P.S. Since Judaism doesn't have a Hell doctrine, it's better to be with Islam on the safe side. Plus, I have research that discredits Christianity such as the Bible's errors, false prophecies, etc...

Favorite Answer

I will share with u opinions of scientists and thinkers that saw what u r seeing in islam and alot more; and before that i would like to tell u that if u keep reading and searching u will be very sure of the result u r begining to discover now, i was an agnostic myself and now i dont think anyone has the certainity i have in islam :

"Muhummed is the most successful of all Prophets and religious personalities." [Encyclopedia Britannica]

"FOUR YEARS AFTER THE DEATH OF JUSTINIAN, A.D. 569, WAS BORN AT MAKKAH, IN ARABIA THE MAN WHO, OF ALL MEN EXERCISED THE GREATEST INFLUENCE UPON THE HUMAN RACE ... MOHAMMED ..." [John William Draper, M.D., LLD., in his "A History of the lntellectual Development of Europe",- London 1875.]

"I HAVE STUDIED HIM - THE WONDERFUL MAN - AND IN MY OPINION , HE MUST BE CALLED THE SAVIOUR OF HUMANITY." [George Bernard Shaw, in "The Genuine Islam,- Vol. 1, No. 81936.]

It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur'Ãn about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammad from Allah, because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been a messenger of Allah. [Professor Keith Moore, one of the world’s prominent scientists of anatomy and embryology. University of Toronto, Canada]

-

"If a man like Muhammed were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world, he would succeed in solving its problems that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness." [George Bernard Shaw]

"It seems to me that Muhammad was a very ordinary man. He could not read or write. In fact, he was illiterate. We are talking about 1400 years ago. You have someone who was illiterate making profound pronouncement and statements and are amazingly accurate about scientific nature. I personally cannot see how this could be mere chance. There are too many accuracy’s and, like Dr. Moore, I have no difficulty in my mind in concerning that this is a divine inspiration or revelation which led him to these statements." Dr. T.V.N. Persaud is a Professor of Anatomy and Head of the Department of Anatomy, and a professor of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level." [Michael H. Hart, THE 100: A RANKING OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSONS IN HISTORY, New York: Hart Publishing Company, Inc., 1978, p. 33.]

Everything made so much sense. This is the beauty of the Qur'an; it asks you to reflect and reason....When I read the Qur'Ãn further, it talked about prayer, kindness and charity. I was not a Muslim yet, but I felt the only answer for me was the Qur'Ãn and God had sent it to me." [Cat Stevens (Now Yusuf Islam), former British pop star.]

"The Religion of Islam is growing faster than any other religion in the world." [MIKE WALLACE, 60 MINUTES]

-

I have always held the religion of Muhammad in high estimation because of its wonderful vitality. It is the only religion which appears to me to possess that assimilating capacity to the changing phase of existence which can make itself appeal to every age.[G.B. Shaw, THE GENUINE ISLAM, Vol. 1, No. 81936.]

"The rise of Islam is perhaps the most amazing event in human history. Springing from a land and a people like previously negligible, Islam spread within a century over half the earth, shattering great empires, overthrowing long established religions, remoulding the souls of races, and building up a whole new world - world of Islam...

"The essential and definite element of my conversion to Islam was the Qur'Ãn. I began to study it before my conversion with the critical spirit of a Western intellectual .... There are certain verses of this book, the Qur'ân, revealed more than thirteen centuries ago, which teach exactly the same notions as the most modern scientific researches do. This definitely converted me." [Ali Selman Benoist, France, Doctor of Medicine.]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

note: and about the big bang theory u mentioned i would like u to read those verses about begining of creation in Quran:

-

Big Bang

When describing the creation of the "heavens and the earth," the Qur'an states the theory of the "Big Bang" explosion at the start of it . the Qur'an says that "the heavens and the earth were joined together as one unit, before they were aparted :

Quran (21:30) {Have not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We cloved them asunder} [cloved them asunder means separated them].

and this was 1400 years before the discovery of the big bang theory

Following this big explosion, Allah (God) "turned to the sky, and it had been some what like a gas or a smoke. He said to it and to the earth: 'Come together, willingly or unwillingly.' They said: 'We come in willing obedience'".

Quran (41:11): {Then He directed Himself to the heaven while it was smoke and said to it and to the earth, "Come willingly or by compulsion." They said, "We have come willingly.}"

Thus the elements and what was to become the planets and stars began to cool, come together, and form into shape, following the natural laws that Allah stablished in the universe.

Qur'an further states that Allah created the sun, the moon, and the planets, each with their own individual courses or orbits. "It is He Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon; all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course" (21:33).

-Expansion of Universe

this amazing theory was discovered in the 20th century that the universe is continuing to expand after the big bang explosion,,

this idea ; that the universe is continuing to expand. was mentioned in quran 1430 years ago : {and The heavens, We have built them with power. And verily, We are still expanding it} quran (51:47).

Six days

Qur'an states that {Allah created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in six days} Qur'an (7:54). While on the surface this might seem similar to the account related in the Bible, there are some important distinctions.

The verses that mention "six days" use the Arabic word "youm" (day). This word appears several other times in the Qur'an, each denoting a different measurement of time. In one case, the measure of a day is equated with 50,000 years (70:4), whereas another verse states that "a day in the sight of your Lord is like 1,000 years of your reckoning" (22:47). The word "youm" is thus understood, within the Qur'an, to be a long period of time -- an era or eon. Therefore, Muslims interpret the description of a "six day" creation as six distinct periods or eons. The length of these periods is not precisely defined, nor are the specific developments that took place during each period.

After completing the Creation, the Qur'an describes that Allah {settled Himself upon the Throne} Qur'an(57:4), to oversee His work. which is also a distinct point from the Biblical idea that God rested from the work he done, as in : (God rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made). (Gen. ii. 2.)

whereas quran says that not even the minor thing touched God from creating the heavens and earth:

{We created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them in six days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us} Qur'an (50:38).

Mohamed Married his Mistress of 3 years when she was 9 years old it appears that as soon as a girl starts her periods she can be forced to marry

does anyone want to join a group that still practices this Barbaric 17 century act Female Rights I have lived in a Muslim country and the Burka is Fiction Head covering is Fiction

the Koran says Women must Dress Modestly who decides Modesty some priest who cannot control his Urges or men to hide the fact they have married a 10 year old Girl ????????

Satan has proved to have much influence over Christendom. And many teaching that come from them are the misinterpretations of the bible. A misinterpretation will surely finds it way to disharmony. For instance Christendom teaches that when you die, the soul go's to either Heaven or Hell. But at Ecclesiastes 9:5 it says this

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten".

I think if I were in Heaven I would have knowledge about it, or be conscious about it. But according to this scripture, when I die I will lose all consciousness. In the book of Ezekiel chapter 18 verse 4 it talks about the soul that sins, will definitely die. Anyway this is just a small example of the damage that false religion has done. But God will deal with this in his good time. (Revelation 18:21). I truly cannot understand why people cannot see the truth. Maybe they just do not want to. They back their faith like I would back the San Diego Chargers. But this is just a football team, not my way of everlasting life. Most Christian religions teach the same thing, so misinterpretations are very prevalent and have made it hard for those who truly want to know the truth to find it. That is why I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. And I go door to door looking for those who hunger and thirst for God's word. I am not popular with those who profess to be christians, because I will not join them on the wide and spacious road that leads to destruction. ( Matthew 7:13).

JOHN I do not expect you to take my word for it. But if you take some time to study with JW's You will learn that the Bible does harmonize with itself. May Jehovah God give you peace, and the wisdom to make the right choice.

Source(s): Watchtower.org
  • Sam E

Whatever 'religious text' people read they were all written by men. And why subscribe to the idea that it was some kind of 'divine inspiration' behind writing such works, we could use the same argument to say that divine inspiration was behind the invention of the bicycle. In the end why opt for any religion over any other, just avoid them all.

• Lois

I can understand not wanting to be a catholic but the moslems may kill you, your an infidel. women are proclaimed equals in the Holy Qu'ran. If that is true why are so many being killed and beaten???? Haven't you heard of honor killings, those are women being killed. If you know what's good for you, you will stay away for islum.

convert if you want to- but Islam is just as inaccurate as all the other religions. Plenty of tales of miracles in the Koran which are scientifically rubbish and historically proven as false. If you want a religion which is most "provable" then try the Church of Latter Day Saints or communism (communism is also scientifically proven as a total fake- but it has devout believers)

Following these comments I was curious and read comments on Sharia Excerps:Women's rights

In terms of women's rights, women generally had more legal rights under Islamic law than they did under Western legal systems until the 19th and 20th centuries.[68] For example, "French married women, unlike their Muslim sisters, suffered from restrictions on their legal capacity which were removed only in 1965."[69] Noah Feldman, a Harvard University law professor, notes:

As for sexism, the common law long denied married women any property rights or indeed legal personality apart from their husbands. When the British applied their law to Muslims in place of Shariah, as they did in some colonies, the result was to strip married women of the property that Islamic law had always granted them — hardly progress toward equality of the sexes.[60]

Of course, since this point in history the aforementioned exploration of freedom is no longer true - that is to say that whilst it is arguable that women had more extensive legal rights under Islamic law than they did under Western legal systems, this is certainly no longer the case. During the Islamic Golden Age, there was an early emphasis on freedom of speech in the Islamic Caliphate. This was first declared by the Caliph Umar in the 7th century.[54] Later during the Abbasid period, freedom of speech was also declared by al-Hashimi, a cousin of caliph Al-Ma'mun (786–833), in the following letter to a religious opponent:[72] Modern Islamic law

During the 19th century, the history of Islamic law took a sharp turn due to new challenges the Muslim world faced: the West had risen to a global power and colonized a large part of the world, including Muslim territories. In the Western world, societies changed from the agricultural to the industrial stage, new social and political ideas emerged, and social models slowly shifted from hierarchical towards egalitarian. The Ottoman Empire and the rest of the Muslim world were in decline, and calls for reform became louder. In Muslim countries, codified state law started replacing the role of scholarly legal opinion. Western countries sometimes inspired, sometimes pressured, and sometimes forced Muslim states to change their laws. Secularist movements pushed for laws deviating from the opinions of the Islamic legal scholars. Islamic legal scholarship remained the sole authority for guidance in matters of rituals, worship, and spirituality, while they lost authority to the state in other areas. The Muslim community became divided into groups reacting differently to the change. This division persists until the present day (Brown 1996, Hallaq 2001, Ramadan 2005, Aslan 2006, Safi 2003, Nenezich 2006).

Secularists believe that the law of the state should be based on secular principles, not on Islamic legal theory.

Traditionalists believe that the law of the state should be based on the traditional legal schools. However, traditional legal views are considered unacceptable by some modern Muslims, especially in areas like women's rights or slavery

Reformers believe that new Islamic legal theories can produce modernized Islamic law[79] and lead to acceptable opinions in areas such as women's rights.[80]

Contemporary practice

There is tremendous variety in the interpretation and implementation of Islamic Law in Muslim societies today. Liberal movements within Islam have questioned the relevance and applicability of sharia from a variety of perspectives; Islamic feminism brings multiple points of view to the discussion. Some of the largest Muslim countries, including Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan, have largely secular constitutions and laws, with only a few Islamic Law provisions in family law. Turkey has a constitution that is officially strongly secular. India and the Philippines are the only countries in the world which have separate Muslim civil laws, wholly based on Sharia. In India, Muslim civil laws are framed by the Muslim Personal Law board while in the Philippines, it is framed by the Code of Muslim Personal Laws. However, the criminal laws in both the countries are uniform.Some democrats and several official institutions in democratic countries (as the European Court for Human Rights) argue that Sharia is incompatible with a democratic state. These incompatibilities have been clarified in several legal disputes.Many, including the European Court of Human Rights, consider the punishments prescribed by Sharia to be barbaric and cruel. Islamic scholars argue that, if implemented properly, the punishments serve as a deterrent to crime.[83] In international media, practices by countries applying Islamic law have fallen under considerable criticism at times. This is particularly the case when the sentence carried out is seen to greatly tilt away from established standards of international human rights. This is true for the application of the death penalty for the crimes of adultery and homosexuality, amputations fo

Yeah, some guy got drunk one night and heard voices, that just proves everything.

yes i think you should convert to islam. many people nowadays are converting to islam as they find the religion more accurate than any other.