B Man asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

If you had $1,000 to invest in the US stock market what stock would you buy and why?

A general sectors or industry pick is ok too. Thanks.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

PG Proctor and Gamble

A huge company that is currently down but will always be around no matter what the economy is doing because people need their products

• 4 years ago

First, don't believe most of the answers before mine. You will need a discount broker, like Charles Scwhab or Ameritrade or E-Trade and can open an account for no charge. Your $1000 will then appear in your account and you will be able to access your account on line and make trades from your computer. But---with only $1000 you don't want to be making a lot of trades, nor do you want to be investing in only one stock. The only way to "diversify" such a small amount is to buy a mutual fund or an ETF, (exchange traded fund), which is a mutual fund that trades like a stock. Since most mutual funds have initial purchase requirements that are greater than $1000, my advice is to begin scaling into an index ETF, such as the SPY. This is an ETF which invests in the S&P 500 index, so you get great diversification, even if you only buy one or two shares. Start buying one or two shares when the market seems to be lower than average. For this you'll need to follow the market, which you can easily do on CNBC, a cable financial news channel. Bloomberg and Fox also have financial channels, so check your cable carrier to see which of these comes in over your cable. Don't expect to make much money with this strategy. But you won't lose much either. Hopefully, as you learn about investing, you'll be adding to your investment account. But stick with the SPY until you have about $10,000 accumulated. Just keep adding to your collection of shares when you believe the market is low. Hang on to your shares along the way. Once you have about $10,000 and have learned a good deal about investing, you can begin to make decisions about single stocks. Read all of Jim Cramer's books on investing and start watching "Mad Money" and "Fast Money" on CNBC. There's a lot to learn, so be patient and keep at it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Any company that manufactures soap or toilet paper.

Because people always need it, always buy it, and the economy keeps increasing in population because the average American family has 2.3 children. (no- one of them is not 3/10 of a child, but if they were, wouldn't that be gory?)

That is, if you are investing for the long term.

If it's short term you want, play blackjack!

Source(s): my own personal logic in combination with the fact that I've never bought a stock.
  • 1 decade ago

For the short term, the next year, I would buy companies dedicated to repairs and refurbishment, making things last longer. Thrift retailers and pawnbrokers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would wait 6 months the market is still going to go down some more .then buy a big company like walmart-apple-microsoft

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd purchase shares of a T. Rowe Price growth and income fund.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

UYG, because the long term risk reward is extremely high, but the short term looks dismal.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

baby boomers are retiring therefore

medicine & ph

a very high % of the population will be elders..so medicine would be good

toilet paper and soap is a good one for longterm..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.