Ryan asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Emergency crews at airports?

I've been watching Air Crash Investigation, and I suppose one thing I never thought about before is how quickly emergency vehicles are on the tarmac when a plane declares an emergency landing. Are these crews specifically assigned to the airports? What do they do when there are no plane emergencies?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • mhmd
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Each airport is required to have Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting stations on the airport grounds. The number of crews, the location, the type of equipment, and they amount and type of fire fighting chemicals and water on each truck depends on the class of the airport. The class is determined by the number of scheduled flights per day and the size of the largest aircraft the airport is capable of servicing.

You can see FAR 139 for the details.

When there are no emergencies they practice, and they respond to calls at the airport for medical assistance. The average top 10 airport probably has around 3 alerts per day.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Any airport of significant size is likely to have dedicated emergency response teams, particularly firefighting teams. They can be there within a minute or two. If an aircraft that has declared an emergency is landing, they will already be in place when the aircraft arrives, although, if the runway changes at the last minute, they may have to rush to change their positions.

When there are no emergencies (which is most of the time), they do what all other emergency response teams do to kill time. They are paid to be ready, not to be busy.

• 1 decade ago

They do have special response teams. At my airport, KTLH, we just had a plane catch fire today. Fire trucks were on the scene in 2 minutes. It's the same as normal firefighters or policemen, they just sit and play cards or something like that. Must be really boring.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, all airports have there own fire stations.

Here in Glasgow, out airport has 9 fire trucks, the airport also has its own Police Station and a major Hospital is just 6 minutes away.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes all airports have special rescure (a Crash truck) equipment and they are requeied

by the FAA to have a lot of pratices (I think its once or twice a year)

and sometimes they would respond to other emegranches (but

the Crash Truck nevers leave the airport)

in the surroding area

• Neil
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes, they're on-site. When there are no plane emergencies, they do what other firefighters do: Drill, wait, and respond to medical calls involving individuals.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.