Anonymous

Is the rebel flag racist? Does it mean racism?

Because this girl at my school, whom is white, had a rebel flag shirt. And she was talking to her friend saying "my grandma don't want me wearing this shirt because she said it's a bunch of black people at this school too." then I asked her what does that have to do with anything. And she said the rebel flag means racism and other things. I mean I knew the south wanted slavery and stuff. But I just thought the rebel flag...idk mean your country or something. I never really asked because I didn't care enough. But does it mean racism?

Britney you are so racist. Go fall off a cliff.

Favorite Answer

The Confederate flag was a symbol of the Confederacy, and does not necessarily represent racism. That is a popular misconception, as many of these incorrect answers prove.

The flag it self does not represent racism..Hate groups have adopted the flag as their own...Because of their acts the flag is now thought by the general public as a symbol of hate.

Josh S is dead on the money..

Read up on the Cival war folks

No, the Confederate 'stars and bars' or the rebel flag does not indicate racism. The American civil war was not fought over slaves or slavery, and the Confederates were not killing and dying over their slaves.

Note: The American civil war was a 'banker's war' fought over the nature of trade, loans, and the valuation of money and the self-dermination of Southern states over their economic decisions with Europe and other oversea's markets. The USA outlawed the importation of new slaves in 1844, and slavery was a dying institution in the South by 1860.

Well the rebel flag represented people who wanted to break away from the United States and continue to enslave blacks and treat them as property.

So it is treasonous, and racist.

It is like someone wearing a Nazi uniform or a swastika shirt and saying that is a part of their culture.

Josh --the state right they were fighting over was the right to own slaves.

• Kirby

i dont care what its real meaning is, its not right.

1. we are talking a flag that represents, betraying your own country to make your own.

2. the idea of wanting to keep slaves.

and then people like the KKK havent been making the image of the flag positive.

so to me, it means something bad, racism and its also unpatriotic, since its not the american flag.

The rebel flag does not represent your country. They wanted to break away remember? The Confederates were fighting to keep their slaves, so it brings up an irritating past.

Edit: One can also argue the Civil War was about states rights, but one of those "rights" was keeping their slaves.

The battle flag of The Confederate States(the Stars and Bars) should be treated with respect, for those brave men, and women, who sacrificed for their belief in freedom... sadly... it has been defiled by pecker-headed ignorant bigoted scum succors who have no respect for any one...

The Stars and Bars is not The Flag of The Confederacy... it is the flag that led brave men into battle... It does NOT stand for the filth of the likes of the KKK.

Yes. It is a racist flag.

that flag is good for one thing and one thing only: burning

yes because it symbolizes hate