promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kayla R asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

can you use tap water for a fish?

got a new fish forgot the water at the store and i was wondering if tap water could sit out long enough for it to be okay

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Tap water is all you need, as long as you have water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine, chloramine and other nasty chemicals that are toxic to fish. If not, then it is advisable to let it sit overnight for the chemicals to evaporate. You must always allow it to sit out for at least several hours to make sure it is at room temperature, so you don't shock your fish.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It depends what kind of fish it is. Some fish need a certain PH to live, and others can survive just off of tap water. I would look it up before doing that though.

Every fish that I have bought from a regular pet store has just lived in tap water though.

• 1 decade ago

No! Don't do it! I tried it before and my fish died! Tap water is non-sterile water, which means your fish can't survive in it. (now i kno) If you don't have any other choice, leave the tap water out (without your fish in it) for about 3-5 hours. Then, it'll be ok to put in your fish. Just keep your fish in the bag for now.

• 1 decade ago

Did you get any water purer at the store? If you did then put that in the water and then it'll be fine.. If not, tap water will be okay but not for too long! Try not to make a Habit of it.

Hope this helps

x

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, it is fine that you use tap water, but you MUST condition it before using it.

Using Stress Coat + or Prime (ml to the gallon) is good before putting the fish in so you can eliminate any chance of chlorine or chloramine and even some heavy metals that might be in the water.

• 1 decade ago

u can use tap water i do when i got my fish tank i just put some tap-safe in it of u can leave it to stand for a few days

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

not unless it waits out for a long and that might not work. tap water has chemicals that make it safe for us but not fish. Is it raining, collect a little rain water directly from the sky, not a gutter.

• 1 decade ago

yes you can.. I used spring water for my fish for long time and it was kind of expensive .. once i tried tap water.. she was fine.. and after that I used tap water for my fish tank..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, but you might want to get conditioner for the water, you can get it at most pet stores. It purifies the water, so there are no germs. Hope this Helped:):):)

• 1 decade ago

no because it will kill them if you just use it right from the tap, but if you put it in a milk carton and let it sit for 48 hours you should be fine!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.