Is it possible to out-grow shyness?

First of all, I am a very introverted person. I prefer to be by myself 99% of the time, like to work independently, and get satisfaction out of things most people would think are boring. Now, on top of that introversion, I am ALSO very shy. Painfully shy. I don't like attention but I am so freakin tall... show more First of all, I am a very introverted person. I prefer to be by myself 99% of the time, like to work independently, and get satisfaction out of things most people would think are boring. Now, on top of that introversion, I am ALSO very shy. Painfully shy. I don't like attention but I am so freakin tall (6'5") that I always stand out no matter what.

Anyway I don't have a very positive view of myself physically or mentally. I'm constantly trying to improve my character and be a better person but at the end of the day I just feel horrible.

Anyway I'm going to college in 4 months so I need to outgrow my shyness. I want to be a success in life, not a failure simply because I have no confidence.

So my question is, is it possible to outgrow shyness? I wouldn't want to outgrow being quiet, I just want to be able to communicate smoothly with others when necessary. Thanks.