Anonymous

How many native americans are left?

That are majority native... not no "1/8 cherokee" bs....

I heard 500,000 but that sounds too small.

I meant the U.S.

and 15,000?! damn. Well I sure hope they get their numbers growing! and pinky, yes it's trendy to claim native these days. even immigrants do it lol

Hani-

I mean more of the majority native blooded or full native. Alot of people claim native so it's hard to tell how many natives are actually left. Ones who still retain their culture and such.

• Salish
    Favorite Answer

According to the BIA, there are roughly 2,000,000 of us (if you include all the "cherokees" that are enrolled) for my tribe, there were 92 people left at the time of the treaty signing in the late 1860's. That was after 9,900 xwseqweb (now known as Suquamish ) people had been massacred. Today we have a little over 1,000 tribal members (Natives tend to die A LOT, high suicide rates, diabetes, car accidents, CANCER-oil refineries, toxic waste dumped on the rez's- etc...) we have lost 14 tribal members so far this year. but we have babies a lot too (statisticly every native woman has 6 children in her life) if the BIA would recognise mexicans as natives, our numbers would be much higher.

EDIT: Well, if you have to be full blooded to be counted, make that three less, my kids and I are mixed. My tribe still recognises us though, we don't like the white "one drop rule", as the traditionalists say, show us which blood is white, and which is native. Its all red. What counts is your up bringing and familial ties.

Um...well, I'm half native american and half black. Cherokees held slaves...so a lot of blacks may in fact, be 1/8 cherokee. It's not really that much "bs" to it.

I still have my culture. Once again, the Five "Civilized" Tribes held slaves-Cherokee, Seminole, Choctaw, Chickasaw, and Creek. I have cousins that are 1/8 (give or take) indian, and they have longer hair than me. Everyone doesn't lie, and I think the fact that blacks claim "1/8 indian" is NOT A LIE and is very often true.

I think I'm the only person in the US who doesn't claim any native blood. It seems to have gotten trendy but I missed that contest.

This doesn't answer your question but someone on Y/A today posted something about toxic dumping on Indian tribal land, and I went a-Googling and there's a whole lot of that going on. The people are fighting it in the courts, but it involves legal complications; for instance, if tribal governments have jurisdiction over private contractors working on their land (I'm a contract geek so I want to know why this wasn't spelled out in the terms and conditions in the first place).

But anyway, this toxic waste dumping on land and in lakes and rivers on tribal lands (mostly by energy companies supplying power to cities like Phoenix) and the resultant health fallout to the indigenous people is going on in several places, and I thought outside people should know. I'd write a letter to somebody if it would help.

• lucas

there are slightly below 2 million enrolled natives contained in u . s . on my own and yet another million in canada. in u . s ., 70% human beings do no longer stay to tell the story reservations. many stay in super cities like NYC and Chicago. we are in each and every occupation from attorneys, to docs and production facility workers and instructors or perhaps astronauts and professional athletes. many human beings nevertheless stick to classic techniques mutually with traditions and ceremonies/ideals. that would not propose we are residing interior the nineteenth century. i actually am classic yet nevertheless stay between non close by human beings lots comparable to they do. i return homestead to the rez for ceremonies and to pass to with pals and relatives. maximum persons by no ability meet an actually close by individual nonetheless provided that we make up under a million% of the inhabitants of u . s ..

I'm part native american but I don't retain my culture. There's not a whole lot left. I met one girl in my entire life that was full blood native american. It's pretty sad.

I don't know...........are you talking about the real real native americans 100% blooded ? I've heard they were in "Indian reservations"............but there are also these who are mixed European-Native American in southern USA.

@Deeya : Oh-yeah I think that @Salishla__ gave you the right and official number of Natives in U.S.A , good evening ;))

There are probably less than 50,000 full native americans still left. Most of them live in the great plains and on the pacific coast.

our number is close to 3 million and climbing.

You seem to blend blood quantum with culture.

I know full bloods named todd that have no interest in their culture. I know some 1/8ths that speak their language, know how to make fire.

It's QUALITY not Quantity.

The two are not the same.

Indian is indian, there are no parts.

Source(s): Skindian Enrolled Tribal Member

I believe its actually 15,000 (in the US) and I read that the Native-American population is growing back, so thats good!

No, it's not 15,000. There's about 2 million full blooded and about 3.5 million mixed.