What does ditto mean?

ok i am not stupid i know ditto means me too but where did it come from?? What does it stand for??

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Believe it or not, “ditto" has ancient beginnings. It comes from the Latin dictus (having been said), which evolved into detto in standard Italian. In the Tuscan dialect, detto became ditto, which entered English in the early 17th century (the first published reference dates from 1625).

When it first appeared in English, "ditto" was used to avoid having to repeat a month or year in a date. Someone might have written, for example, "on 22 January and 25 ditto" to avoid having to say "on 22 January and 25 January." Half a century later, in 1678, "ditto" was being used in a more general way to mean the same or aforementioned.

Source(s): This information comes from the Oxford English Dictionary, John Ayto's Dictionary of Word Origins, The Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology, and The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.
  • 4 years ago

Ditto Means

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does ditto mean?

ok i am not stupid i know ditto means me too but where did it come from?? What does it stand for??

Source(s): ditto mean: https://tr.im/TtEtx
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • McDoom
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It would be even less stupid to actually make what you want to know the title of the question.

• 1 decade ago

it means "the same"

• good question! idk, maby google it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.