Why Don't people where helmets when driving?

I just thought about it why don't people in cars wear helmets? I mean race car drivers do, motorcycles drivers do why don't car drivers do?

Wouldn't that save lives?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually it is an excellent idea which would save lives. It doesn't need to be a full face helmet which is what the other responders speaking about reduced visibility and hearing are referring to. Just a bicycle or skateboard helmet would be a big lifesaver. Airbags are great but people still die of head injuries in a collision. A helmet would add some extra protection. I wouldn't mind seeing 5 point harnesses either.

The reason car drivers don't wear helmets is the same reason many don't wear seat belts; they think it can't happen to them. At least that's what the half million drivers who died in accidents last year thought.

• 1 decade ago

Greetings Doc, Suggest you try driving in a car with a helmet on. You'll have rubbish visibilty along with a diminution of hearing capability not to mention being uncomfortable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wearing a helmet would restrict your side vision while driving and do the the opposite,,,,,,,,,,it would create more accidents.

Source(s): 316
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

they have already protection the body of the car unlike motorcycle

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's actually a good idea.

But people don't want to deal with helmet hair.

• 1 decade ago

race cars dont have airbags, neither do motor cycles. cars are designed to get hit by other cars its what they do.

• They dont think of that and i bet it would save lives and it would be alot safer but u would look silly

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You are wasting the internet. Stop.

• 1 decade ago

there is this thing called a frame. it protects you... and airbags...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it would serve no purpose. like wearing a condom when you're already pregnant. useless. i also, think it would obstruct your visual.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.