Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

what are drawbacks of creating projects in ms access?

im doin an o level project and i need to noe some drwbacks of projects created in ms access

• JA12
    Favorite Answer

Access is a useful tool in a very limited way. It has no real record locking capabilities so multi-user performance is abysmal.

It is better to use Access as a Database and use a less restrictive language to read the database and create your project in a decent more flexible coding system/language. It will be easier to maintain, and will run a LOT faster.

• Sun

Yup like the above user said, access does not scale with multiple users, you'll find that with over 10 users the speed will slow down vastly. If I remember correctly, access also doesn't like databases over 1gb in size.

I think you'll be better off using SQL Server as a database.

There is not a type of Access project or database that will make a .EXE file. You can make: .MDB (regular access database) - a .MDB can be converted to .MDE (a locked version of the .MDB) .ADP (a database where all the data and queries exist on a sql server, but the forms, reports and code exist in Access) .ADP can be converted to .ADE (a locked version of the .ADP).

No real multi-user solution (multiple users using the same database). Also when the database gets too big the performance will be awful.

plz do tell me the drawbacks as i have to work in ms acess . my techer has told me to do that