Etiquette regarding reference request on craigslist...?

First person asks for a reference for past work I did. Do I give them the email of person who will provide the reference, or do I give the reference their email? Several of my past customers have offered to give a reference, should I ask them if it is permissible to give out their email address or just send them an email saying someone is about to contact them to get a reference from them. Thank you for any information. Doing self-employed work has its own issues. I run into stuff all the time.

I like that idea to ask the person what conditions they would place on contacting. Polite and not presumptuous.

Second answerer has a good point. I do have an email from someone who said anytime you need a reference no problem.

I would like to get a letter or an equivalent document that I could email, but I do not know how to do that. That would make references easier on all. Good idea.

Favorite Answer

I agree with the first person who posted. However, in the interest of time, you may (just this once) give their e-mail out to the person who wanted a reference. Then e-mail them yourself to: 1) thank them again for offering to be a reference, 2) let them know someone is about to contact them, and 3) ask how they'd like to be contacted in the future.

I have heard having a private web page registry is becoming popular What I would suggest, although I am not sure the ettiqute is to register with a few stores for small gifts only. Have your maid of honor or a family member set up a myspace or similar website you are locked out of with all of your registries located on the same page. Also pertinent information about the wedding and such. People can leave comments on the purchased items so no one get you the same thing and it can be noted polity on the page that you ar requesting small gifts because of the move and perhaps something about how as a new couple moving so suddenly it would most likely be helpful if donations could be made or perhaps have her start a fund for something specific, like plan tickets or something that people can donate a bit towards a group gift. the word gets spread this way and if people throw in together on a travel exspense or something then they wont feel like it's a request for cold hard cash, but you can still reap the benefits.

Ask for a letter of refernce. Provide a copy of letter as needed.

If someone REALLY wants to talk to a reference after that, call each time and arrange for a time that is convenient to reference.

The goal is to minimize the imposition on your references. Ideally no more than once or twice a year.

You should approach the people that have offered and ask them again. Let them tell you what measures they would like to be contacted by.