Can anyone recommend any good books to me?

My school gives an award to the person who read the most books throughout the year, and along with the award comes a book of their choice. This year, I'm going to get that award, and I have to pick a book, but I'm having trouble picking.

FAVORITES:

-Sophie Kinsella's books!! (I LOVE the Shopaholic series. But... I hated "Remember Me?". Generally, though, I think her books are amazing.)

-The Cider House Rules (by John Irving). I guess this means I'm capable of reading very long and hard adults' books.

-Sisters (by Danielle Steel). I really loved this book, so I kind of assumed that I liked Danielle Steel as a writer, but as it turned out, I don't like ALL of her books... I recently read another book of hers and didn't like it much.

To sum it all up:

-I love Sophie Kinsella

-I want a long and challenging book

-I hate books like the Clique series, Gossip Girls series, etc.

-I can't read "boring" books (like "Saving the Bears" by John Irving, "The Poisonwood Bible" whom the author I cannot recall)

-I don't like fantasies/mysteries/biographies/sci-fi

-I generally don't like classics. I liked Jane Eyre, but that's about it.

Any suggestions? I'm thirteen, if that helps. Thank you in advance.

Favorite Answer

Dreamland - Sarah Dessen.

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb.

Anything by Nicholas Sparks...

A Place Called Here - Cecelia Ahern.

The Host - Stephenie Meyer.

The Running Man - Michael Gerard Bauer.

Honeymoon - James Patterson.

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult.

Those are just a few of my favourites..

Darren Shan series - Not too much romance but lots of vampires and overall actually better written than Twilight.

The Lovely Bones - No vampires, just a very sweet story about 3 generations of women. Two teenage girls, so ull like.

Junk - Young people on drugs, sex, always entertaining, if not overrated.

Fake - Similar feel to Junk but less drugs and more fugitives.

Catcher In The Rye - Classic. Must read for any young person.

Boy in the striped pajamas - will almost definitely make you cry.

Fight Club or anything else by Chuck Palahniuk. Excellent writer.

The Handmaid's Tale- Easy to read and very very good, one for girls but guys will enjoy.

A series of unfortunate events - Never too old for enjoyable reading.

After dark, Wind up bird chronicle, or Weeping Woman, Sleeping Willow - All by Murakami. All excellent.

Kill Your friends - Funny, more for guys but girls are known to love it.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Good for young people.

I wrote this and was wandering if you'd take a look and let me know what you think. It's quick. -

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200...

Below are some terrific books I enjoyed reading. FYI normally I select my books from a combination of the recommended school & public library choices <= then look on Amazon for reader reviews...

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings

Declaration by Gemma R. Malley

Hope was Here by Joan Bauer

Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Snatched by Pete Hautman & Mary Logue

Schooled by Gordon Korman

Sand Dollar Summer by Kimberly K. Jones

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

My Brother Sam is Dead by James L Collier

Under A War-Torn Sky by Laura Elliott

Enjoy and Good Luck!

I would choose a real classic - something you will keep on your shelves forever. I am thinking something like Little Women, which has stood the test of time. Tom Sawyer is another one. No bookshelf is complete without them! I expect it will be a hardback nicely bound book so any one of your favourites that you want on your bookshelf would be a good idea. Have you read "Freckles" or "Girl of the Limberlost" by Gene Stratton Porter? They are wonderful. Or The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett? Those are ones that can be read again and again. I have a complete set of Rudyard Kipling which were school prizes but they don't get read very much! (I did not choose them!)

I'm not really sure what you like - but some good books/series are Nancy Drew, 'Nama Beach High, Trixie Belden, Christy Miller, Sweet Valley...or maybe you'd like the books my mother reads! They are from a series called Secret of the Rose, by Michael Phillips

a undeniable Slant of sunshine - Laura Whitcomb A Kiss In Time, Beastly, Cloaked - Alex Finn Anna wearing Blood - Blake Blood and Chocolate - Annette Klause provider of the Mark - Fallon dark Lover – Ward Falling under - Gwen Hayes Grave Mercy - LaFevers Haven - Kristi prepare dinner Sea Witch - Kantra Sookie Stackhouse series - Charlaine Harris Vampire Academy – Mead

to kill a mockingbird by harper lee, the alchemist by paulo coelho, the black stallion by walter farley and johnny tremain by esther forbes. the last two are old, but i think you will like them. i read them when i was your age. that was a very long time ago. i still like to read. have you tried the harry potter series. if you haven't, get a cd from your local public library. you will like that. i read all the books, but i liked the cd's better. the man who reads the stories does all the voices. he is fantastic. his name is jim dale. good luck and god bless.

Source(s): me
  • Sam E

From what you describe you may like to have a look at 'Solving Stonehenge' by Anthony Johnson.

I highly recommend "A thousand splendid suns" by "Khaled Hosseini".

any darren shan,garth nix,anthony horowitz books...