Leukemia Survival Rates?

Okay well one of my friends was just diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (A.L.L.). I was wondering what her chances of survival are? Here is her info

-13 Years old

-Female

-Caucasian

-Kind of small for her age

-They caught it very early

-Lymph Nodes were removed because they were so swollen

-Beginning chemo-therapy tomorrow

-It has not spread to her brian or her spinal cord

Please help me gather information!! I found 3 sources about it that all contradicted each other.

one said that the lucky ones live 5 years at most

one said it is one of the most curable cancer

one said it is one of the hardest to cure

SO PLEASE HELP!!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Lisa P is correct. ALL in a 13 year old is pretty cureable these days.

Good luck to your friend.

MM

Source(s): http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=... (lymphoblastic leukemia is another word for lymphocytic leukemia)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • chou
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

to respond to this nicely one would desire to understand the age of the guy and form of Leukemia. the ordinary adolescents Leukemia, ALL (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia), could have treatment rates of 80%. AML (Acute Myeloblastic Leukemia) is a lot extra intense and has treatment rates of fifty% in adolescents. different Leukemias such persistent Myelogenous and persistent Lymphocytic oftentimes impact adults and have different treatment rates looking on age and sub type. Bone Marrow transplant have made an mind-blowing distinction contained in the fulfillment of treating countless Leukemias , even while chemotherapy has failed. Your pal has desire for a treatment and please motivate her or him.

• 1 decade ago

First of all it's not easy to talk about the survival rate, since science and medicine are improving, new drugs and protocols are made, and every case has its own characteristics. Secondly, searching for the survival rate is not going to help the patient or the family and friends of her. What she needs most is good medical centers, love and prayers.

• 1 decade ago

The recent research in the University of California provides an indicator of when Chronic Myeloid Leukemia is progressing. As a result an accurate prediction of the disease is possible.

The researchers were able to discover the effect of a molecular off switch known as Glycogen Synthase Kinase (GSK) 3 beta. When the GSK becomes faulty, it fails in its function to turn off beta catenin. Beta cantenin enables the development of pre-leukemia stem cells into leukemia stem cells. It also helps to and expands their numbers. This leads Chronic Myeloid Leukemia to a blast crisis stage.

So perhaps your friends can be treated completely.

For more info you may visit:

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Your friend is high risk. But even high risk ALL patients do very well 70-80% have no relapses. Those that have relapses the chances of survival depend on how long since diagnosis. The further the better the odds of survival.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

acute leukemia has a very low survival rate, I found that out on wikipedia check it out it will give you the information that you need.

And I am very sorry I will be praying.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.