Can you buy a car WITHOUT A TITLE? I need confirmation .?

Hi! I want to buy a used car by a private owner. The owner of the car just paid off the loan of this car so he contacted the bank and they told him that the title is gonna arrive to him in about three - to - five weeks. Now , i really need a car (right now i don't have anything to get around) and is a... show more Hi!

I want to buy a used car by a private owner. The owner of the car just paid off the loan of this car so he contacted the bank and they told him that the title is gonna arrive to him in about three - to - five weeks.

Now , i really need a car (right now i don't have anything to get around) and is a good car.

So im asking you if there is any way to get this car and legally get it on the road.

Without the title can you register the car at the DMV? does the bill of sale have any affect?

and if yes where can i get a copy of a form for a bill of sale
i asked this question before but the answerers didnt know that the guy im buying it from is my friend

somebody told me that the bill of sale will be enough in most states ,i called dmv and they said its not possible , can you give me some confirmation, and by confirmation i mean i need to see it somewhere written that i can buy the car and legally have it as my own till the title comes.
( the guy at the DMV was kind of having a rough day i think so he didnt really care to answer my questions)

thx in advance
Update: @mikey :
how would i lease the car from my friend?