Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Do you agree with the American Academy of Pediatrics that spanking children is wrong?

"The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that if punishment is needed, alternatives to spanking should be used.

Although most Americans were spanked as children, we now know that it has several important side effects.

It may seem to work at the moment, but it is no more effective in changing behavior than a time-out.

Spanking increases children's aggression and anger instead of teaching responsibility.

Parents may intend to stay calm but often do not, and regret their actions later.

Because most parents do not want to spank, they are less likely to be consistent.

Spanking makes other consequences less effective, such as those used at child care or school. Gradually, even spanking loses its impact.

Spanking can lead to physical struggles and even escalate to the point of harming the child.

Children who continue to be spanked are more likely to be depressed, use alcohol, have more anger, hit their own children, approve of and hit their spouses, and engage in crime and violence as adults.

These results make sense since spanking teaches the child that causing others pain is justified to control them—even with those they love."

For the record, this is a quote from the AAP- not me.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

According to your comments posted from the AAP, it appears those alleged intelligent people are confusing the effects of abusing a child with spanking a child.

For example: "Children who continue to be SPANKED are more likely to be depressed, use alcohol, have more anger, hit their own children, approve of and hit their spouses, and engage in crime and violence as adults." (emphasis added)

I don't agree with this statement/reasoning from them at all. However if the AAP had said, "Children who continue to be ABUSED are more likely to be depressed, use alcohol, have more anger, hit their own children, approve of and hit their spouses, and engage in crime and violence as adults.", then I would wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

The act itself is not where it goes wrong, but the manner that the punishment is handed out. An open palm on the butt is a spanking. Striking the child with a foreign object, regardless of which area of the child's body is struck is abuse. Even some state laws dictate that striking a child with anything other than an open palm on the buttocks is to be construed as child abuse.

Like many others on here indicated, I too was spanked as a child (I was born in 1962). I went on to be a good law abiding citizen, join the Army, work 15 yrs there in law enforcement. go to college, numerous schools & now own my own business & continue to work with law enforcement. Never once did my spankings lead to any urge to stand in a church bell tower shooting at people below or any urge to take weapons into my school with the intent to kill my fellow classmates or teachers. Even with the Vietnam War going on in the late 60's- early 70's when I was growing up, I don't recall my parents talking about, or reading about, crimes like Columbine, VA Tech, etc when many parents then still disciplined their children by spanking. It seems that after these bleeding heart liberals became involved in telling people how they need to raise their children & preaching that spanking a child is a sin, that spankings need to be banned, that incidents such as those came to be.

One article I read years ago completely turned me against the anti-spanking crusade, was by a "prominent researcher in her field" that was demanding practically that spanking is wrong, damages the child, blah, blah, blah.... A woman that had never bore children, never babysat a child in her life, & probably couldn't even care for, feed or diaper a child properly, was dictating others how to raise their children- all based solely on "clinical research"- instead of actual child raising. And the organizations, like AAP, were sitting on the edge of their seats with baited breath waiting for the next words from her mouth.

Punishment is a parents responsibility, not "Big Brother". If the parent is comfortable with their methods, their methods work & is legal within their state's child abuse laws, then let them raise their children as they see fit. If the parent wants to use time outs, taking toys, cell phones, etc away- so be it. That is within their rights raising their child, but those same parents cannot tell a parent that is spanking their child that what they are doing is wrong, solely on the fact that they themselves would never resort to spanking their child.

I will not look down on a parent in the mall that places their child in a time out on a bench, nor will I look down at a parent that gives their little one a good open handed swat on the butt to get them to behave at the mall. But, I will step in when I see a parent that is beating their child or using a punishment method that would violate my state's child abuse laws.

Source(s): 15 yrs Law Enforcement

Wow Messenger- you said it all in a nutshell. WELL said!

The AAP are a bunch of whack jobs that need a good spanking from parents that are ridiculously tired of their drivel, psycho-babble bullsh**t.

I also agree with Messenger that we should seek our own truths by using our brains, the power of the internet (research) and exercising a little common sense. The information that is available is truly overwhelming.

The FDA and AAP have tons of contradicting statements, claims, and stats of their own admission. Go figure.

Doms Mom- I don't think anyone here that replied to your question thinks that this is your opinion, but merely an article that you are questioning and wanting other opinions.

I think that this subject matter stirs a lot of debate. I don't believe anyone wants to be told how to reprimand their child.

However, I will add this food for thought.

Our judicial system, in the eyes of many, is contradicting, prejudice, discriminating, and hypocritical. It doesn't serve and protect as it should. It does not work, especially when it pertains to our children.

I think that if enough people get involved and take a stand, we can change Legislature and mandate federal law to punish those that violate children.

If a person is found guilty of pedophilia, rape, molestation and/or murder of a child- it should be an automatic death penalty.

If a person is found guilty of neglecting and/or abusing a child (not spanking or reprimanding) it is automatic 10-20 years with no parole, to be served among the general population (not in solitary confinement). That way, tax payers will not be responsible for paying for that piece of trash very long.

We need to make the consequences harsher for those that harm our children. It is a parents responsibility to protect the well being of our children and it should be our governments priority to assist in that effort by any means necessary. (Afterall our government officials are elected officials. Shouldn't they carry out what we as a majority people wish?)

What state will our nation be in if we do not protect our young?

When will lawmakers understand that certain animals can not be rehabilitated. You can not change the genetic make up that makes a person want to harm a child. They deserve to be put down like the animals they are, not released back into our society in hopes that they will not violate or harm another. Because at some point- they will.

• Ashley

I was spanked as a child, and I've never been angry, aggressive or depressed. And even as a young child, I knew the difference between spanking as a punishment and hitting as an act of violence. I've never really spanked my own kids, though. Not because I don't believe in it; just because they're really good and have never needed it!

I don't totally agree, I was spanked as a child. But when I see some of these kids in the news killing there parents and stuff I wonder were they over spanked as a child (Abused)

If you're asking if it's morally wrong, duh. Any sort of violence is.

I think spanking is pretty ineffective. I was spanked when I was 7 or so, I really didn't care if it happened, because it was 5 seconds of serious pain and then a few minutes of minor pain. I have a pretty high pain tolerance so it didn't bother me overmuch. But if I was banned from tv and computer for a day, I regretted what I did SOO much, because I was bored the whole day (Back then my life revolved around tv and computer - and reading, to a lesser extent). It was a much more effective punishment, because the effects last a lot longer.

I'm only going to say that I was spanked as a child, and none of those things have ever applied to me.

I find it offensive that so many people have decided that I'm a mentally unstable, violence loving, hatred filled alcoholic/drug abuser without the benefit of a phsych evaluation O.o

• y

The wise old owl sat in his oak. The more he heard the less he spoke. The less he spoke the more he heard. Why aren't we all like that wise old bird.

The spanking debate will never end as long as people refuse to learn.

You know, I battled back and forth over whether or not I would respond to this post and I feel so compelled to go on a rant, but I will try my best to bite my tongue.

I totally disagree.

First of all I am so sick and tired, to the point of nausea from all the organizations, committees, and groups who come up with these statistics on studies of how to raise, discipline and love a child.

I don't recall anyone coming into my home, I don't recall being asked questions from any of my childrens' pediatricians. I don't remember them ever coming to our neighborhood but they use numbers based on a group of 1000 kids that were studied? Where the hell were they studied? Who was asked the questions? Amazing, isn't it?

Not every child is the same- therefore, when it comes to issues such as immunization, discipline, guidance, encouragement, love, nurturing, counseling, diet, exercise, protection from all that's evil and harmful in the world is going to carry different definitions and impacts for each and every child/ parent relationship.

Each child is going to respond differently to circumstance or a particular situation.

1. No more effective than a time out? Oh really? When you put a child on 'time out' from ages 1-6, I can guarantee you that the chid is not thinking about what he/she did wrong. They are thinking about what they are going to do when they get out of the chair or out of the corner. They are in their own little fantasy world.

2. Parents have no business talking to or dealing with a child when they are angry. A simple phrase such as, "Excuse me, I am upset with you right now and we need to talk about what you have done or said when I calm down."

THAT is how it should be handled. THAT is what teaches the child patience and discipline (because it exemplifies both). When the parent goes into speak with their misbehaved child, they can focus on what was done to deserve whatever level of discipline the child is facing.

3. Single mothers (from my own experience) are the tolerable ones that don't wish to spank. They are the ones that are inconsistent. They are, by nature; the nurturers, the enablers, the soft, gentle and loving parent. That is the role given by God.

4.Spanking never escalates to anything more than a spanking. People are confusing corporal punishment with abuse.

5.Children that are depressed has very little to do with spankings. It comes from watching their parents fight, argue, beat each other, drinking, drugs and other forms of abuse. They are also facing peer pressure, changes within their own bodies and minds. Puberty, hormonal changes.

6.Children engage in violent crimes because of the same reasons mentioned above. Throw in all the garbage from video games, cable television, the infomercials about chat lines for booty calls and hook-ups. Our children are exposed to more today than they ever have. Why isn't that to blame for their depression, abusive attitudes and actions? That couldn't possibly be harmful material because afterall, everyone does it! Great mentality. (not)

My father spanked me, instilling a degree of fear that is necessary for every child. Children need to fear and understand consequences. Children have to be taught right from wrong. They need to understand from day one that there is accountability and responsibility for everything they say and do.

That's the problem. That's the true problem! It isn't corporal

punishment that's the issue. It's the people that are administering it. They have their own baggage, that is what clouds their views on corporal punishment; then has the audacity to turn around and wonder why their kid is stealing, lying, cheating, hanging out with the wrong people, in jail, in juvenile detention centers, being where they aren't suppose to be, or worse- DEAD.

DUH, big red truck.

Maybe if you gave them a good spanking, they would know that certain behaviors are not acceptable in the household or in society., thus reducing the chance of becoming another statistic- as in jail or dead.

It's the parents job to take the time to go into your child's room, sit down and talk to them. Or better yet, sit down as a family and eat meals together. Ask how they are doing, what's going on in their lives, how they feel and what they think.

Make sure they understand that they are loved and the reason for corporal punishment was used because (state your reason).

The last paragraph of your comment is totally false and total garbage.

There is a HUGE, monumental difference between corporal punishment and abuse.

Spanking a childs rear end, is not the same thing as punching your child in the face and all about the body while screaming. The later deserves jail time. That simple.

It's complete nonsense.

"It may seem to work at the moment, but it is no more effective in changing behavior than a time-out."

I'm sorry? How can it both "seem to work" and "not change behaviour"? In my book, it ONLY works if it changes behaviour.

"Spanking increases children's aggression and anger instead of teaching responsibility."

Because a punishment which goes on for days and weeks won't make them angry AT ALL. Oh no. Of course not. One which is over and done with quickly is FAR worse. (sarcasm).

"Parents may intend to stay calm but often do not, and regret their actions later."

Maybe driving is also bad? After all, people often drive badly even though they didn't intend to, and regret it afterwards.

"Because most parents do not want to spank, they are less likely to be consistent."

Uh, what? Because I don't want to spank, I'm far MORE likely to be consistent, because I don't do it lightly or because I'm in a bad mood which is far more likely to happen with, say, timeout or grounding or removing privileges.

"Spanking makes other consequences less effective, such as those used at child care or school. Gradually, even spanking loses its impact."

I'm sorry, I thought you said spanking wasn't effective? Now you are saying it's MORE effective than other consequences. In any case, this is nonsense. Spanking is, first and foremost, a DETERRENT. It doesn't matter what consequences are used at school. It's still a deterrent, because my kid knows what the consequences will be at home when I find out they needed to be disciplined at school.

"Spanking can lead to physical struggles and even escalate to the point of harming the child."

Nope. I don't beat my kids. I spank them. This is like saying that sending your kid to their room for timeout could lead to you locking them in there and starving them.

"Children who continue to be spanked are more likely to be depressed, use alcohol, have more anger, hit their own children, approve of and hit their spouses, and engage in crime and violence as adults."

What's their point here? Spanking is a deterrent. If the kids continue to need to be spanked, it isn't working and a different method of discipline is needed for that child. This has NOTHING to do with spanking at all - it's a comment that kids who behave dreadfully all the time despite discipline tend to end up as criminals. That's true however they are disciplined.

I don't "continue" to spank my kids - because I don't need to.

"These results make sense since spanking teaches the child that causing others pain is justified to control them—even with those they love."

So grounding them teaches them that locking people up is justified to control them, and taking away privileges teaches them that stealing from people is justified to control them. Okay, so what are we allowed to use? Harsh language? No, wait, that teaches them that insulting people is justified to control them. You can't use one argument against spanking and completely ignore its logical extension to everything else. Spanking your child (or grounding them, or timeout, or removing privileges) teaches tham that bad behaviour has consequneces which are unpleasant for them.

The AAP should be ashamed of themselves. This is drivel.

Source(s): I spank my kids when they behave dreadfully. Last time I needed to do it? Six months ago? Maybe more.

Of course. Don't really understand why you Americans are so obsessed with the right to hit your children. It is illegal in many countries and the crime rates are mostly lower. Don't y'all have a brain??