Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

Question of Centrifugal Force.?

Is the centrifugal force of earth very powerful

Favorite Answer

The centrifugal force which keeps the earth in its orbit around the sun is exactly balanced by the sun's gravity which keeps the earth from flying off into space.

The centrifugal force of the earth's own rotation is strongest at the equator and weaker as you get more toward the poles. Spaceports where they launch satellites are located as near to the equator as practical, to take advantage of this force.

The earth bulges slightly at the equator and is slightly flattened at the poles, from centrifugal force acting on it over the eons. I once read that a person weighed with a spring balance would weigh less at the equator than at the poles for two reasons -- first, being farther from the center of the earth, and second, being subject to greater centrifugal force.

If you look at pictures of the big gas giant planets Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, you can see the pole-flattening effect of their rotation very clearly.

Sorry I don't have hard numbers to illustrate these concepts.

I assume you mean the centripetal force which associates the sun and the earth.

As a matter of fact, yes. It is strong. Strong enough to resist gravity of our sun.

HTH