Was Socrates gay?????

Well... was he?

Someone told me that, and I was just wondering if it was true.

(Sorry about all the question marks, by the way. I couldn't submit the question since it was too short, so I had to add question marks.)

Favorite Answer

It's interesting to note that although many men in Ancient Greece had relations with young teens, being outright gay and having an equal relationship with a same-sex partner was not something that was socially approved of at all.

Socrates by all accounts was happily married with a number of children. And though he is sometimes depicted flirting with young men as many Greeks of that time did, there isn't even anything to indicate that he actually engaged in even those practices.

Plato on the other hand, Socrates' student, shows every indication of having been gay himself and wrote a number of dialogues trying to persuade others that maybe it should be considered okay. Despite being wealthy he never married which would also be pretty unusual. So if you're looking for the gay one, it's probably him.

• Erika

Socrates Homosexuality

• Diana

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axGix

Socrates never wrote anything down, so you must be reading something by Plato or perhaps Aristotle. Homosexuality was an important part of a boy's education. It was used in the military to boost morale and a fighting spirit.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Was Socrates gay?????

Well... was he?

Source(s): socrates gay: https://tr.im/bq3Ms

It's conjectured. Of course, we will never really know for certain. It's entirely even possible that Socrates is a figment of Plato's imagination, as the only accounts of Socrates come from Plato.

His crime of "corrupting the youth" for which he was put to death was either from being heavily anti-war or being heavily pro-homosexual and encouraging of free love. As Michael Foucault pointed out, the reason that the Greeks talked frequently about homosexuality is because they were conflicted about homosexuality. They never talked about heterosexuality because in their minds, heterosexuality was (in their minds) self-evident: the man did manly things, and the woman stayed at home and raised the kids and darned the socks. Sort of like how prop 8 arguments periodically pop up in the politics forum. You never hear anything about racial segregation anymore, because our society has resolved that racial segregation is self-evidently a bad thing.

In the Symposium, one of Socrates' friends desires to sleep next to him (or possibly, engage in homosexual activities with him) because he believes it might impart some of Socrates's wisdom into him. Of course, it was just used as a springboard for Socrates defining what Wisdom truly is, but the fact that the companion (his name escapes me) was so flippant about cozying up with Socrates that Socrates may have swung that way.

Of course, he did have a wife, named Xanthippe, but Xanthippe was a woman of such legendary henpecking that Socrates preferred to hang out in the streets chatting with whoever would talk to him rather than go home. He was famous for the quote "My advice to you is to get married. If you marry a good woman, you will be happy for the rest of your life. If you don't you will become a philosopher". That he may have been homosexual may be reinforced by the fact that he had an unhappy marriage.

In any event, it's completely irrelevant to Socrates's place in history, and whether he was or wasn't has no bearing on his status as one of the great thinkers in western philosophy.

1

Source(s): Solution to Avoid Divorce http://enle.info/SaveYourMarriage/?N710
  • Blah

not that it matters (his philosophical ideas are amazing gay or not) but you should read a little about the society at that time. young boys were expected to perform "sexual favors" on the adult men to gain their favor...kind of like homosexual political sugar daddies...but ALL the men did this, so technically not gay so much as the kind of stuff people don't like to talk about once they get out of prison

He was not gay according to records

Historians are always trying to dig up dirt on figures we look up to in a desperate attempt to bring themselves recognition. Calling someone gay is always their last resort because it is impossible to prove or disprove. I have heard everyone from Shakespeare to Abraham Lincoln accused of being gay and can assure you it is not true.