Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Can someone explain to me what the Russia - Chechnya wars were about?

I know this stuff can be looked up but i like shorter personalized answers!

thanks.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Two answers above me talk about geopolitical view of the situation but there is also simpler motives.

As for geopolitics Caucasus is very dangerous region. People living there can be highly aggresive. There are hundred different nationalities living there and some of them still have blood revenge tradition, which calls for murder of your family member killer. Somehow it resembles Balkans with Serbia and Kosovo where a little quarrel can transform in mass bloodshed in week. And Russia owns half of Caucasus, so independence of Chechnya threatend overall stability of Russian part of Caucasus. It was the reason for first Chechen war in 1994 that Russia lost.

After declaring independence Chechnya became traditional muslim country will Shariat law. And to deepest regret a lot of islamic fundamentalists came to Chechnya and a lot of terrorist schools were vreated there. Russia was overwhelmed with terror attacks in late 90's. Most known are: 1) blown up 9-store residence buildings (100 dead) 2) hostages taken in school in Beslan (more than hundred children dead) 3) hostages taken in Dubrovka theater (more than 100 dead). Not saying about bombs and suicide bombers in streets of Moscow. All that was connected with Chechnya terrorist schools. But second chechen war started when chechen forces attacked Dagestan, a russian territory that borders Chechnya, calling for ceation of United islamic republic of Chechnya and Dagestan. Then the second war started that saw Chechen capital Grozniy totally destroyed. In several years Russia restored total control of Checnya and no terrorist attacks were seen in Moscow in years now. This second war gave Putin that 80% backing by russian population that you can see even now.

This is how it is seen from our side)

Hope I helped

Source(s): I am russian
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Chechens lost a war against Russia in the 19th century, this occured around the time of the American Civil War, about 1850s to 1860s. As usual, these issues were never resolved. Ever since, Russia has thought of Chechnya as part of Russia proper. Now that Russia is no longer the Soviet Union it has a deep seated paranoia about losing more territory and winding up as the snow cone capitol of the world as it's primary industry. Chechnyans are still PO'd and would like to tie their own shoelaces without asking for permission.

Source(s): Encyclopedia Britannica (with modern (humorous) interpretations)
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

like each and every neighbouring disputes you're fortunate to get independent solutions because it relies upon on the source of what you're looking up. i might think of the wars are by way of fact Russia desires to maintain on being greater or much less in cost of Chechnya jointly as this place desires to have administration so as that Chechnya could have its very own social religious and political strategies come into being. presently there would not seem to be any struggling with there. All i understand is that the dispute extra approximately the seige of the Moscow theatre and the bloodbath of many babies at a college. those conflicts are not getting lots media interest.

• 1 decade ago

The Russians are Orthodox, the Chechens are Muslims - so that's the first fault line. Tsarist Russia was pushing south to the Indian Ocean in the 19th century and needed to sweep up all the hill people in the Caucasus beyond the steppes - this included Chechens along with Georgians, Armenians, Ingush, Osstetians, etc. Now it's about the oil and gas pipelines -- but the Russians think the Chechens are all thieves and the Chechens have never forgiven the Russians for deporting them all to Central Asia under Stalin because he thought they would cooperate with the Nazis.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.