Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Does the special K diet work?

I am doing the diet right now but I just started? I was wondering if anyone on here has had success with it. If so please let me know.

• ny
    Favorite Answer

Kelloggs' Special K brand have been promoting their very own Special

K Diet Challenge (for a number of years now). Not to be outdone, Kraft

have "lose 10 pounds" emblazoned on virtually the entire line of

"Post" brand cereals (called Eat 2 Lose 10)

Both cereal "diets" are bold and upfront with their claims: "Lose up

to 6 pounds in 2 weeks!" shouts Special K. Is this for real? Is it

valid?

The Special K Diet

• Eat a serving of Kellogg's® Special K®, Special K® Red Berries,

Special K® Vanilla Almond, Special K® Fruit & Yogurt or Special K® Low

Carb Lifestyle Protein Plus cereal with 2/3 cup skim milk and fruit

for two meals a day.

• Eat your third meal as you normally do.

• For snacks, choose from fresh fruits and vegetables or a Special K®

Bar.

• Consume beverages as you normally do.

Special K claim that the diet is "based on valid research conducted

at leading universities". In typical hard-sell fashion, they fail to

provide the reference or provide a link to the "valid research". After

some digging, I found the aforementioned study.

Yes - People Lost Weight

It made interesting reading, and effectively backed up some of the

claims from Special K. According to my reading, the mean weight loss

was less than 2 kg (4.4 pounds) in the 2 week period.

A basic low fat diet

So what's the magic? There is no magic. The women in the study ate

less than they normally did. According to the study, the women in the

Special K group were eating about 2200 kcals per day. When they

started substituting the cereal meals they dropped daily intake by

about 640 kcals per day. Furthermore, a lot of those calories were

from fat (~39 grams or 351 kcals).

Good or What?

Personally I think incorporating some cereals into your diet can be

good - but there are some caveats here:

Satiety - From experience, I've noticed that wolfing down a bowl of

cereal doesn't always curb the hunger pangs. However having a bit more

protein in the mix does keep the pangs at bay.

Nutrition - The simple truth is - Special K is better than what most

people eat, but it still contains such gems as High Fructose Corn

Syrup. Serving for serving, it has less potassium and fiber than oats,

and more sugar. Compare here and here.

The Claim

"Lose 6 Pounds in 2 Weeks"

The Interpretation

"If you currently have a poor diet, but substitute it with our cereal

- you may lose 4.4 pounds over the first two weeks. You will be

probably feel very hungry while restricting your calories, and will

may find eating cereal for dinner or lunch to be untenable after a

while. Boredom could well set in. History shows that a low-fat,

higher-carb diet can work, but in the long run it may backfire".

That said - you could do a lot worse than eating cereal, skim milk,

and fruit - it's a lot healthier than the average American meal...

1

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipes Cookbook : http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?xUVx

Special K Diet Reviews

The diet is too much to handle because you're making yourself uncomfortable. If you make yourself uncomfortable with dramatic lifestyle changes, you wont stick with it. I think what will work best for you is one or two small changes at a time. That is how a lot of people do it. My mom used to be big as the side of the house and she started with small changes. First she gave up candy bars and after a week or so she gave up cheese burgers then after another week or so she started walking a little bit.... and just gradually keep adding those small changes. Shes fit now.

You can see further details in https://tr.im/vGMd9

I think you could benefit a lot with some nutrition or fitness coaching. Most people need that because they want to change and have all the drive to do it and stick with it, but just don't know what to do or how to start.

Small changes make all the difference. I don't know what you do all day but one small change could be to just start taking stairs instead of an elevator... or if you have whole milk with your cearal, switch to skim or 2% just things like that. Or, if you eat breakfast as school, instead of having the biscuits and gravy, have fruit and oatmeal or whatever else is available that's a better choice. Or stop having ketchup with your French fries (its all sugar). It really does work.

I've spent lots of money on diet clinics and stuff that use drugs or put you on a really strict diet and the results never lasted because it was just too dramatic and I went back to the same bad habits. The only things that ever let to lasting resuts was the small changes that I stuck with... like parking far away from buildings and walking through the parking lot rather than parking as close to the door as I could... I've even joined extreme fitness classes like crossifr and never stayed with them because it was just too much all at once.

One thing you can do that you wont really notice is don't eat everything on your plate... leave like 20% of it. At the end of the month, all that food really adds up.

The diet is too much to handle becaue you're making yourself uncomfortable. If you make yourself uncomfortable with dramatic lifestyle changes, you wont stick with it. I think what will work best for you is one or two small changes at a time. That is how a lot of people do it. My mom used to be big as the side of the house and she started with small changes. First she gave up candy bars and after a week or so she gave up cheese burgers then after another week or so she started walking a little bit.... and just gradually keep adding those small changes. Shes fit now.

Source(s): Here's the best news of all. Here's a method that is helping women to lose weight fast: https://healthcare.im/burn-fat-fast-natural-8508

There are three main ways to lose weight quickly.

1) Use only water as liquid and eliminate all other liquid drinks from your diet. You must drink as much water as possible every day. You must drink about half of your weight. If you have weight of 200 pounds then you must drink about 100 oz of water.

2) The interval between the eating is very important. If you eat once, then you must eat next after 4 hours. You must take breakfast regularly. In the night eat your food three hours before going to bed.

3) Walking is very good. You must walk as much as you can. Walk everywhere you can. Use of elevators and escalators must be reduced and instead of these you must climb stairs more often.

These are some of the fastest ways to lose weight. By just following the simple steps, you can lose your weight very quickly. You must consult your doctor if want to change your diet or exercise routine.

https://tinyurl.im/aHObM

Sure it does, my friend tried it and lost some weight...but for how long do you really think you can eat cereal for? Its an unrealistic thought to think that you can replace two meals a day with cereal and stick to that until you loose the weight. What will happen when you go back to eating normally? If you are not careful you will gain it all back. This is a good short term "i have 5 pounds to lose" type of diet and that is all.

i cant tell you if it defo work or it defo not work for you, but the thing they say in the adverts, "you are more likely to lose weight if you eat a low fat breakefast than if you skip breakfast altogether" is true and from that yes it is possible to lose weight by eating special k, but there are a many of other cereals that would help you lose wieght better than special k would (such as bran flakes) becuase they atchually have a lower amount of fat than special k does.

so yes it is possible for it to work but there are cereals that could help you even more so look at the labels on the cereal packets and compare them to see the amount of fat in them and other unhealthy things too. but it will only work if you make sure that you get enough exercise and other healthy meals and things as well.

hope this helps x

RE:

Does the special K diet work?

Free Presentation Reveals A somewhat Unusual Tip To Quickly Get A Flatter Belly While Still Enjoying All The Foods You Love

Get it Free! Now - http://www.howeasily.com/fat-loss-factor-2203.html

A somewhat unusual weight loss strategy that can help you get a flatter belly in under 7 days.

---------- AND ----------

Free Cellulite Removal Presentation Weird Tips to Help you Get Rid of Cellulite

Discover the secrets! Now - http://howeasily.com/truthaboutcellulite-2203.html

The video presentation above shows you some unique and rare tips on how to release your cellulite, for a sexy lower-body.

Source(s): I can't leave this video up for long, so be sure to watch it from beginning to end while it's still here