Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Is the ink of the scholar more holy than the blood of the martyr?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes and no! I would rather have scholars than martyrs around, as they are a sign of peace and ease, rather than persecution and intolerance. And generally they have the sense to stay alive, whereas any fool with faith can martyr themselves if they try hard enough. But anyone's blood is holy, in a sense, and is more precious than ink. Let's knock over all the inkwells before we kill anyone for what they believe!

• 1 decade ago

I think that Anna reinforces the power of the ink of the scholar. We would not know that martyrs were precious without the ink of the Bible, the ink of the scholar. A martyr not recorded would be both localized and short-lived in memory. So, while the martyrs act might be of the holiest nature, they are dependent on the scholar to make that act known over time and to all. The scholar on the other hand has no need of martyrs for his points to be made. So, I think with the martyrs being dependent and the scholars independent, I will lean to the ink of the scholar.

• 1 decade ago

No because martyrs are made into saints, martrology is the study of saints. Also blood contains life force which is holy. However the pen is mightier than the sword. Writings can inspire millions with ideals. They can kill a martyr but they can't kill an idea. Ink in itself isn't holier, but the meanings of the words can be holy. Martryrs can inspire humanitarian or spiritual movements, and in the case of saints and avatars their blood is even holier than ours. However scriptures can make people holy if they are used properly, which doesn't mean logical analysis but an installation of wisdom and higher understanding that can transform us. We can't equate ink and blood with pacifism and activism because most martyrs are pacifists. Do they still make ink from squids? If ink was got from a saintly squid would the writing be holy?

• 1 decade ago

Shakespeares wisdom says ;

The pen is mightier than the sword.

With writing your views you are accepted by 'consent' the reader has a free choice to accept or deny what you have written.- life is given a chance to flourish - peacefully

The actions of a martyr is expressing views by 'coercion' and force if you dont not agree with a martyr then death will follow - the end of life. The short sighted view of the martyr is;

'If life is worth living for, it must be worth dying for'

the scholar appreciates that if life is worth living then it should be passed on to future generation - but by consent

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mostly it would depend on what the martyr wrote and the scholar died for, or perhaps the other way around.

Source(s): Sixty two cynical years in a castle with a woodburning stove, a pot of tea, an abacus and a ginger tomcat.
  • Softi
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I wouldn't agree with the statement.Neither of the two are holy. Why because its one's practice which matters not what some one writes. If you choose to believe that, by touching the bones of the martyr,you will get healed,so it will be,even if these bones are exchanged with a sinner's you will still get healed-because you have faith and by faith you will get healed and not the bones healing you.

And if a scholar wrote a matra for you to chant believing that all that you want will come to you,and if you do it with faith, you will obtain it.

So all in all, its you the individual and your faith that is important and not the other way round.

Meaning that, we choose to be who we are.

Thanks for asking dear

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the ink is being applied to the pages of a bible, i do believe that ink could indeed be considered more holy than the blood of a martyr.

At least, that's christianity for you.

• Ja Ma
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

it depends on the situation. no general statement of this nature can be applicable in all cases. becoming a martyr could be holy or just plain stupid. you have to take the specific circumstances of each case into consideration.

• anna
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The blood of the martyrs is precious in God's sight, according to the Bible. It cries out to God from the dust for justice. However, the Bible also states that "there is no end to the making of books" and that too much study is bad for you because you become self-centred and wise in your own conceit.

The blood of the martyrs is the seed of growth of the Church.

• Shahid
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

In matters like these one cannot be decisive on one’s own account. I think one should seek light from the high sources, the light of the truth that enlightens scholars enabling them to wage war against falsehood, injustice and ignorance, the same truth that inspires and motivates martyrs enabling them in their sense of right and wrong in this world. What really matters is what is worthier in the eyes of God. This is not for any human being to judge.

I take the scriptures to be such sources the light of the truth that have definitively, and most clearly, guided, directed, sanctified and enhanced human thought, human mind, human sense of right and wrong, enabling us all to seek to better lives, and sacrifice whatever we have as our best for the sake of truth, for the causes of peace.

We can understand that the scripture are meant for life, life in its most elaborate sense. The scriptures are meant for a life of righteousness. They are meant for us to make us realise the true value and worth of our own being. They are aimed to raise mankind from its lowly origins to restore it to its essential glory. Then for the purpose of life sacrifices had to be made involving both body and the mind, as the human history informs us. The concept of holiness, you mention, is first and foremost a concept attributed to good life, as without a good life, as a prelude or preamble, nothing could be holy, neither the blood nor the ink.

In the light of my limited knowledge and understanding of the words of scriptures, I would say that the ink of a scholar would be more desirable, as for its life enhancing quality, and worthy in the eyes of the Lord, however, the blood of a martyr might be just as endearing. I believe the true merits of human actions is for Almighty God to judge, for God is the ‘Master of the day of judgement’ – Al Quran

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.