Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

What would you do if you got a letter like this from your boss?

All My Valued Employees,

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company, and more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn't pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country.

However, let me tell you some little tidbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interests.

First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that for every business owner there is a back story. This back story is often neglected and overshadowed by what you see and hear. Sure, you see me park my Mercedes outside. You've seen my big home at last years Christmas party. I'm sure; all these flashy icons of luxury conjure up some idealized thoughts about my life.

However, what you don't see is the back story.

I started this company 28 years ago. At that time, I lived in a 300 square foot studio apartment for 3 years. My entire living apartment was converted into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you.

My diet consisted of Ramen Pride noodles because every dollar I spent went back into this company. I drove a rusty Toyota Corolla with a defective transmission. I didn't have time to date. Often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business -- hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.

Meanwhile, my friends got jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a modest $50K a year and spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. Instead of hitting the Nordstrom's for the latest hot fashion item, I was trolling through the Goodwill store extracting any clothing item that didn't look like it was birthed in the 70's. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into a business with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford these luxuries my friends supposedly had.

So, while you physically arrive at the office at 9am, mentally check in at about noon, and then leave at 5pm, I don't. There is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have the freedom. I eat, and breathe this company every minute of the day. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. Every day this business is attached to my hip like a 1 year old special-needs child. You, of course, only see the fruits of that garden -- the nice house, the Mercedes, the vacations... You never realize the back story and the sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and I, the guy that made all the right decisions and saved his money, have to bail-out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed a decade of my life for.

Yes, business ownership has is benefits but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds.

Unfortunately, the cost of running this business, and employing you, is starting to eclipse the threshold of marginal benefit and let me tell you why:

I am being taxed to death and the government thinks I don't pay enough. I have state taxes. Federal taxes. Property taxes. Sales and use taxes. Payroll taxes. Workers compensation taxes. Unemployment taxes. Taxes on taxes. I have to hire a tax man to manage all these taxes and then guess what? I have to pay taxes for employing him. Government mandates and regulations and all the accounting that goes with it, now occupy most of my time. On Oct 15th, I wrote a check to the US Treasury for $288,000 for quarterly taxes. You know what my "stimulus" check was? Zero. Nada. Zilch.

The question I have is this: Who is stimulating the economy? Me, the guy who has provided 14 people good paying jobs and serves over 2,200,000 people per year with a flourishing business? Or, the single mother sitting at home pregnant with her fourth child waiting for her next welfare check? Obviously, government feels the latter is the economic stimulus of this country.

The fact is, if I deducted (Read: Stole) 50% of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? That's nuts. Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, I agree which is why your job is in jeopardy.

Here is what many of you don't understand ... to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Had suddenly government mandated to me that I didn't need to pay taxes, guess what? Instead of depositing that $288,000 into the Washington black-hole, I would have spent it, hired more employees, and gene

Best Answer

SOME OF YOU SHOULD TRY STARTING AND RUNNING A BUSINESS,I'LL BET YOU COME BACK WITH A DIFFERENT ATTITUDE AND ANSWER AFTER YOU DO. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO UNDERSTAND THIS NO EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY,FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T ON EXPLANATION COULD EXPLAIN IT.

Source(s): BUSINESS OWNER FOR 35 YEARS.

Ode to your employer. This letter will make you want to work for him throughout this depression. You might experience some set backs, meaning some lay offs or reduced hours. If you can afford to I would stay with him and perhaps you might even have to, unless you can find another job else where.

No matter where you turn you will find the same problem everywhere.

Source(s): Send this letter to Obama. Your boss should have sent this to you before we voted...
  • Power

I wouldn't work for a drama queen like this. Sounds like his pity story ignores all the hard working people who eat raman noodles & build up his business & don't have a car at all. Sounds like he is spending his money on extravagant things then acting like he should have more money to do great things for others with when he has obviously just spend it on himself. The country is all of us & the money spend on helping the country is more important than him tricking his employees to thing his BS is true. There are business owners who appreicate that the country they live in is why they drive that Mercedes & the employees they have work harder than they do very often & don't have money to have someone else clean their home & do all the work that they do when they leave work. boo hoo, what a whiner. He says you would quit but you are not the one driving the Mercedes you need you money to pay for everything you need just to get to work.

What a load of drivel. Only 9 more years of Obama until it is over. He can lay off staff. Reduce his Salary and your other employees as well.

Fire his Mexican maid and his British butler.

Relocate to China and outsource the call center to India or

Philippines.

Setup factory in economic processing zone Indonesia.

The guy sounds like a big mouth who speaks a load of BS, no one wants to know his life story, start lookin for a new job!

wow sounds like a bitter republican. The first part was ok. second part sounds like he is blaming his employees for who has been elected.

I wouldn't respond it will only get you in trouble. definately don't talk politics at work if you value your job....

Don't ask what I think...it's been shown that nobody really cares.