Can i put 2 hard drives in my laptop, if i have a "C" and "D" drive?

hello i have a hp g60-127nr laptop, it has a 160 gb hard drive "C" and a 10 gb hard drive "D",

i am going to purchase a seagate 500 gb hard drive, and a EZ hard drive transfer kit (USB)

what i want to know is should i move my stock 160 gb hard drive over to the "D" drive and \

put the blank 500 gb drive in the "C"?

or transfer the data off the 160 GB hard drive on to the 500 GB and put the 500 gb hd into the C department

and transfer the vista recovery data from 10 gb to the 160 and put that into the "D" department.

please let me know thank you

mitchell myler

Mitchellmyler@hotmail.com

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You do not have 2 drives. A laptop can only ever have 1 physical drive. You have a single drive, partitioned into 2. Laptop drives are totally different to normal drives. You need a proper laptop drive. You would need to find cloning software for the copy over of your system to one partition on your bigger drive, this will need to be capable of working on a USB drive. Not many of them do. You would then need tocopy over the D: drive files onto the second partition of the external drive and then fit the drive into the laptop. Make sure your cloning software actually does make the new drive bootable.

• 1 decade ago

I agree with the people here that said you only have one hard drive in there. It's just formatted into two parts.

You should just swap the 500GB drive into the laptop and do a fresh install of your operating system with the recovery disk it came with or your Vista install disk.

When you're done with that plug your old hard drive in through the USB transfer kit and just move your data (files, music, etc.) over onto the new 500GB drive.

• 3 years ago

3 issues are actual right here. the 1st is that the computing gadget save guy is on the ball. The greater platters (the metallic disks which carry the techniques) the better the spindle top. think of of it as a pile of plates. So that is actual which you would be able to desire to degree your latest tension to be attentive to what's going to fit. next up is the optimal length of no longer ordinary disk that the motherboard can artwork to in gigabytes. the placement to seek for that's probably the technical techniques pages on Sony's website. based on the gadget's spec. that is amazingly achievable that Sony outfitted the main important conceivable no longer ordinary tension for the duration of manufacture. ultimately, What restoration technique does your computing gadget have? Do you, as an occasion, have unique Microsoft set up disks, a variety of of restoration disks offered by utilising Sony and frequently branded Sony, or is the restoration application put in in a separate sector of the no longer ordinary tension, and if so demands some thing like 'Diskcopy' application to supply a reflect image of your tension on the hot tension in case of disaster/cock up. wish that's of help.

• 1 decade ago

You would be better off with an external hard drive that way if your systems crashes you will have a back up even if you can install a second drive into your system it would not be your main drive>

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Do you actually have two hard drives in your laptop? sounds like you just have one and it is partitioned into two parts.

Check to make sure you actually have to physically seperate hard drives before you buy anything else.

If you only have one, then just backup your important information and re-install windows on the new drive and partition it as you like.

• 1 decade ago

It sounds like yo already know! To make sure though you should contact the geek squad or computer guys.

• MARK
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I don't think so.You divide the new one into C,D E or more with Partitions.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No you cannot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.