Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Can I at 19 get custody of my little sister?

My little sister is 13 going on 14 she's sad lonely and depressed.. She's had suicidal thoughts and she just ran away.. and when the police found her she said to me she doesnt want to live at my parents house anymore. My mom took her out of school she has no friends and she's suicidal.. my mom didnt even call the cops until i told her to.. she said she wanted to move in with me and i was seeing if its possible that me at 19 can have her move in with me. i have a full time job and a son (1years old) of my own. she'll be safe and i can put her in school. im so worried for her she needs some kind of help but i dont know how to go about it. i really dont want the emotional roller coaster with my mom but she just doesnt care.. i moved out when i was 16 shes just crazy?!? and she cant be proven unfit because i tried that when i was still there. i ran away and i just now got back in contact with her

my mom has been through a million child endangerment stuff.. weve all been raped and beated and shes a nurse so she really cant be proven unfit. ive tried.. i told my school counselor that i was being touched when i was in 4th grade and they called the cops and my mom denied it said i was a drama queen?

my mom wont send her 2 school.. and she wont let me even have her come over 2 watch a movie.. shes caged in..

Favorite Answer

Never mind the police, call Child Protection Services. Tell them everything-everything! There are grounds here, it won't be easy but if you're really serious, and are willing to alienate your Mother (which doesn't really sound like such a bad idea, given the things you've said.) things can be done. Tell your sister to be totally honest with the CPS people, and stress that in the past your efforts to bring these problems to light have been thwarted by the fact that your Mother is an intelligent manipulator, a nurse and knows how to play the system! I'd also mention the fact that she played down your own sexual abuse, and more or less called you a liar. This may be your trump card, esp if you can get the school you attended to confirm that a report was made, and your Mother dismissed it. This could be your precedent. It shows that she's willing to leave her children in danger. Make sure that you have everything you want to say written down, you'd be suprised how easy it is to forget a crucial point if your talking from memory. If you have other sibling and they're willing, bring them in as well, it's all weight to your case. This is a horrible situation for your little sister, and for yourself, esp since you know what she's going through first hand. I hope something works out for you and your little sister. It's horrible to hear of kids being ignored when they're screaming for help, but, you heard her, and I'm sure you can help her, one way or the other. Go in swinging sis!

I would have to say that you would need to check the laws in your state. In Missouri, where I live, if the nineteen year old is in an emotionally, mentally, physically, and financially sound place in his or her life, then there should be no problem getting the child. You can contact a lawyer and get a free consultation. Remember, when you start this journey, the state welfare system may get involved and the child may be placed in foster care for the length of the investigation and court proceedings. But, if the child is being abused and neglected, then this may be for the best. If the courts and the state welfare system find that the nineteen year old can take care of the child better, then they would help him or her to remove the child from the home, or foster home, and transition the little sister to living with the sibling. Check with a lawyer and best of luck to you. Sounds like the little sister has a great older sibling. Good luck and God Bless.

I say try your best to keep it between you and your sister. Keep the system out of it. Since she is running away all the time, let her come there to stay, but keep some clothes at your Mom's -place Shows residency. She can spend the night there with you, go to school, stop by the house after school and leave come back to your place.

If you have enough to prove that she would be better with you, then go to the authorities... you are old enough to take her in your custody. It sounds like your Mom would not miss her anyway, so just let her crash with you,,, till you have to actually to go the legal route. Just make sure lil sis, knows there are boundaries and responsibility for her to follow.

This doesn't necessarily need to involve the law. You and your mom and your sister can agree that your sister can live with you. You're an adult. So, it's fine. It would be like if your mom agreed to let her live with an aunt or uncle. I'm very sorry for your family. I think just go ahead and tell her she can live with you and then tell your mom. If she doesn't care enough to call the police when her daughter runs away she probably won't care if she lives with you.

I think the law states that unless the parents are found to be unfit, you cannot legally adopt your sister without their consent.

On the other hand, there is nothing to stop her simply moving in with you without your parents consent, as long as the parents do not try and get her back. If you think they will try and get her back however, it may damage your case in trying to get your parents proved unfit, and trying again would be your only other option.

You will have to get your parents permission for her to live with you. You sound like a great big sister. Keep up the great work and I wish you all the best.

Your sister may be unable to adjust as well as you. Try to bring your sister with you. Perhaps the two of you can present a better case than two. Your sisters' life may depend on you.

if you live in canada a child at the age of 13 can decide where they choose to live pervading it is a safe and healthy environment and she will be attending school..

Source(s): family laws books 2 year

If she is a bad situation ...YES. It has to be prov-en that the people with custody now are unfit.

tell you mom that your sister is coming to stay with you awhile, since she does not care, she will more then likely let her. try that first. good luck.