Do 99% of scientists believe in evolution?

I was reading an article in my always liberal and not always correct college newspaper, The Iowa State Daily. In it, they quote Hector Avalos, professor of philosophy and religious studies as saying the following: "The bill sounds good in its language, but the reality is 99 percent of scientists believe in... show more I was reading an article in my always liberal and not always correct college newspaper, The Iowa State Daily. In it, they quote Hector Avalos, professor of philosophy and religious studies as saying the following:

"The bill sounds good in its language, but the reality is 99 percent of scientists believe in evolution."

convenient statistic......does any body know of a good source for this number? is it just a poll? what constitutes a "scientist" is this just another miss use of microevoulution to mean macroevoulution? How many statistics professors believe in it?