Why are people against international adoption?

I know a white woman who has just been approved for adoption. She's being placed with a little girl from India. She went through a legitimate agency and it took her 2 years to be placed. People have been telling her she should have adopted a white child from here, and that she's depriving the child of their... show more I know a white woman who has just been approved for adoption. She's being placed with a little girl from India. She went through a legitimate agency and it took her 2 years to be placed. People have been telling her she should have adopted a white child from here, and that she's depriving the child of their own culture. Well, the child's culture is a cardboard box at the moment, so I just don't understand why people are so against this. Can someone explain?
Update: Lori: she doesn't live in Austrailia. not to mention that her adoption has to be approved through the the Indian court system as well as the birth parents who are signing over their rights. interesting article, but has nothing to do with this situation.