What is a "good" ACT score?

I am helping my niece who is living with me right now to study for her ACT test but I know relatively little about the ACT test since I haven't taken standardized tests in forever.

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

0-17: Unacceptable/Bad-Admission to noncompetitive (schools without requirements)

18-20: Below average- Admission to noncompetitive schools and possibly semi-competitive schools

21-24: Average/Satisfactory-Admission to semi-competitive schools

25-28: Good-Admission to semi-competitive schools and possibly highly-competitive

29-32: Great-Admission to highly competitive schools and possibly ultra-competitive

33+: Outstanding- Admission to ultra-competitive schools. Students in this sector compete for Ivy League admission

Examples of schools

Noncompetitive: Local Community College

Semi-competitive: "Non-main" state universities (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)

Highly Competitive: Most "main" state universities (University of Wisconsin-Madison)

Ultra Competitive: Northwestern, Boston University, Vanderbilt

Ivy League: Harvard, Yale etc.

Though college admissions are dependent on other factors (GPA, extracurricular involvement etc) in addition to ACT scores, generalizations can be made because GPA is highly correlation with ACT score. Good luck tutoring your niece, my aunt is tutoring my younger sister for the test too!

Source(s): I was in the last group ;)
    • Matthew6 years agoReport

To Horse-Dog Luver!:
      1. 21 is national average
      2. 21 will only get you into schools like San Jose State University
      3. a 30+ will get you into a good university.

• ?

Good Act Score

Well the highest possible score is 36.

If you want to get into a 2 year nursing program at a community college, they generally require a score of 19 or 20.

OSU nursing requires a composite score of 26. I got a composite of 26 (29 Math, 28 Verbal, 19 Science) and this was good enough to get me several scholarships to some art schools for my grades. However, for ivy league schools that is not necessarily a great score. So it really depends on where you want to go, and what you want to do.

Source(s): *I took the test in 1996 but I think the scoring is the same *My sister has been trying to get into nursing school which is why I used that as an example. I think other 2 year programs have similar requirements. I think the general "minimum score" to get into a decent state school is the same. Its the individual programs that might require higher scores.
  • DrIG

The first site below will answer your questions about what is a good SAT scores. It will give you details about what ACT scores are needed for different levels of colleges.

The second site will give you a general description of the ACT site.

The third site will give you ACT study guides and other study materials.

Good luck./

National average: 21

Good: 30+

• Carol

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/AxKMo

My sister was co-salutitorian and got a 21. My brother was fifth in his class with a 22 and my boyfriend got a 28. I'd say 22 is average and a good score for your first time taking it.

It depends..

When I took it back in my high school year I scored a 22!! So that was pretty good!!! I believe 30 is about the average high score