How does one become a top contributor?

I was just looking at Answers leader board and the #2 guy on here has over 560,000 points but is not a top contributor... and then there's a person with only 250,000 points and is a top contributor..

what gives?

• Lew
    Best Answer

"A "Top Contributor" is a member of the Yahoo Answers community who has shown that they are knowledgeable in a certain category. Each user can be a top contributor in a maximum three categories.

You earn it or lose it depending on your recent participation in a certain section.

The more positively you contribute, the more chance there is that you will get a TC badge. Just like featured users or category leaders, it's another way to give credit to community members."

The TC badge is awarded on the number of questions answered and best answers received by the user in a particular week, in a particular category.

It is rumoured that you need at least a 10 percent best answers in your chosen category to get a TC badge although the actual percentage and the number of answers is Yahoo's secret.

All you see and read on the subject is speculation, rumour, assumption, imagination, and guesswork.

A user who is on the leader board may or may not have a TC badge, the criteria is measured on weekly participation in a particular category (number of answers and % of best answers in the category).

The easiest way to get a TC badge is to concentrate on one category where many questions are asked and hope to get some best answers.

The Polls and Surveys and Jokes and Riddles categories do not have Top Contributors.

If you have contributed enough to meet Yahoo's criteria, the orange badge will appear below your avatar on Monday morning.

It can disappear just as easily on Monday morning, if you don't keep answering questions in your chosen category.

• You become a top contributor by having the top ten most best answers in that category, you can't by points. Supposedly, the person with 250,000 points, spends more time in that selected category. If you are talking about the leader-board, the guy with 500,000 points doesn't get a lot of best answers in a selected category.

How to get a top contributor badge is supposedly top secret, but i hear if you get 10% best answers in one particular category you will receive a top contributor badge in that category? They are just as easy to lose as they are to get, so once you get one you have to keep answering questions in the category you got the badge in? Hope my answer was helpful?

Yahoo does not publicize their cxriteria for choosing TCs other than to say that a TC has proven themself to be knowledgeable in a given category. The user with 500K+ points might be answering in many different categories.

I'm a top-contributor and I barely have any points at all. The key is to just put all your answers in one section. Basically yesterday I was sick and answered a lot of questions and when I signed on this morning I had TC badge haha. I think you have to have the top 10 contributions to the category and at least 10% best answer for your category or something like that.

If I am not mistaken it is not a matter of points as it is the best answers in ratio to answers given. Basically its the people who dedicate a lot of time to giving real answers.

some people don't have social lives, Yahoo Q!A is their only interaction with the outside world,thats how they become top contributors!

Im a top contributor but I don't have 250,000 points.