Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians (or believers in general) : how do you know the Bible is true?

... I use the Bible as a reference, but feel free to apply this to any religious text.

Bare with me:

So, how do you know the Bible is true?

Because it's the Word of God.

How do you know it's the Word of God?

Because the Bible says so.

How do you know the Bible is right of claiming it's the Word of God?

Because the Bible can't be wrong.

Why can't the Bible be wrong?

Because the Bible is the Word of God.

How do you know it's the Word of God?

Because the Bible says so!

... ...

...

Help! I'm stuck in a vicious circle!!!

Can any of you what's the way out?!?!

("I feel God in my heart" isn't an acceptable answer, thank you).

... Feel free to ask any question about my Atheist ways, I will answer in a non-circular way.

>>Do It For Johny

...I'm afraid "Faith" brings us back at the beginning of my statement:

... Why do you need Faith?

Because the Bible says I do.

Why should the Bible be right about that?

Because the Bible is the Word of God

Etc.

... I never said that the Bible was meaningless. I am questioning it's divine origin. The Bible is, to an external reader, a collection of texts and doctrines meant to guide an orderly society, supported by heroic tales and affirmations of the supremacy of that way of life... But it isn't evidence of a deity : it's a *book*.

>>Explain the evolution theory without using science... Hmm, want me to explain astronomy without referring to stars, while we're there?

Okay, though one, but I accept:

Once upon a time, there was a huge forest. In the forest, all the trees were alike. The trees were very happy, because they had everything they needed.

One day, a bird stole a nut from a squirrel. The bird flew away with the nut, but it was attacked by another bird and the nut feel in an empty valley. Other birds stole other nuts and the valley was full of them.

The valley wasn't like the forest. The soil wasn't as rich and there wasn't a lot of water.

Most of the nuts never hatched or were eaten by mice. Still, a few seedlings appeared. Most dried up but some stayed alive.

Eventually, most of those left died, because they weren't strong enough...

… Still, those who managed to make it were very small and not very healthy.

Thankfully, there weren’t any of the wood-eating bugs or deadly mushrooms in the valley. The trees that remained managed to grow nuts of their own. Over time, more trees grew in the valley.

One day, a strange mushroom began killing the trees. Some died, some didn’t.

Many seasons later, another bird stole another nut and took that nut on a hill, far away. Other birds stole other nuts and also dropped them on the hills.

There was more water there, but it tasted funny… and all the trees that managed to grow had wrinkled leaves.

Thousands and thousands of years later, the trees in the forest hadn’t changed, but their cousins, on a hill far away, were very short and had wrinkled leaves… they didn’t look alike anymore.

"Et voila", the tale of evolution.

>> i wonder

... You are confusing "faith" and "hope"... I "hope" my chair won't let me down, though it will eventually... and I "hope" the plane I'm on won't crash... Faith is a very different thing.

>> Mr McKenzie

... Paragraphs! I beg of you, use paragraphs!!!

• Favorite Answer

It is legitimate, though, to ask: How can we know the Bible is divinely inspired? The Bible declares that it is the Word of god, His communication to humanity, so He certainly would give us evidence that it truly is His Word. The fulfilled prophecies, the amazing consistency, and the many scientific statements of the Bible provide evidence that it is supernatural origin. We will look at some examples, and then we'll consider what it is gives even more credibility to the reality of God and the inspiration of the Scriptures. Unlike other books, the Bible offers a multitude of specific predictions, some thousands of years in advance, that either have been literally fulfilled or point to a define future time when they will come true. No other religion has specific, repeated, and unfailing fulfillment of predictions many years in advance of events over which the predictor had no control.

The sacred writings of Buddhism, Islam, Confucius, and so on are all missing the element of proven prophecy. These kinds of predictions are unique to the Bible. Only one who is omniscient can accurately predict details of events thousands of years in the future. Limited human beings know that the Scriptures have a divine Author: "For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from the ancient times things that are not yet done." Isaiah 46:9,10. In addition, the Bible declares that prophets must be one hundred percent accurate, no exceptions. If anyone claimed to be speaking for God and prophesied event didn't come to pass, he was proven to be a lair. The writings of Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are littered with false prophecies, so we know can whether they are written by men or by God.

The Bible's sixty-six books, written between 1400 B.C. and A.D. 90, contain approximately 3,856 verses concerned with prophesy. For example, the Scriptures predicted the rise and fall of great empires like Greece an Rome in Daniel 2:39-40, and foretold the destruction of cities like Tyre and Sidon in Isaiah 23. Tyre's demise is recorded by ancient historians, who tell how Alexander the Great lay siege to the city for seven months. King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon had failed a thirteen-year attempt to capture the seacoast city and completely destroy its inhabitants. During the siege of 573 B.C., much of the population of Tyre moved to its new island home half a mile from the land city. Here it remained surrounded by walls as high as one-hundred-fifty feet until judgment fell in 332 B.C. with the arrival of Alexander the Great. In the seven-month siege, he fulfilled the remainder of the prophecies in Zechariah 9:4 and Ezekiel 26:12 concerning the city at sea by destroying Tyre, killing eight-thousand of its inhabitants and selling thirty-thousand of its population into slavery. To reach island, he scraped up the dust and rubble of the old land city of Tyre, just as the Bible predicted, and cast them into the sea, building a two-hundred-foot-wide causeway out to the island.

Following are a few examples of incredible scientific facts that were written in the Bible, hundreds, even thousands of years before man discovered them. At a time when it was commonly believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant estimated around 1500 B.C., the Bible spoke of the earths free float in space: "He hangs on the earth on nothing" in Job 26:7. Science didn't discover that the earth hangs on nothing until 1650. The Scriptures tell us that the earth is round: "It is He who sits above the circle of the earth" in Isaiah 40:22. The word translated circle here is Hebrew word chuwg, which is also translated circuit or compass depending on the context. That is, it indicates something spherical or rounded, not flat or square. The Book of Isaiah was written between 740 and 680 B.C. This is at least three-hundred years before Aristotle suggested, in his book "On the Heavens," that the earth might be a sphere. It was another two-thousand years later, at the time when science believed that the earth was flat, that the Scriptures inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world. Matthew Maury, whom lived from 1806 to 1873, is considered the father of oceanography. He noticed the expression paths of the seas in Psalm 8:8, written two-thousand-eight-hundred years ago, and stated, "If God said there are paths in the sea, I am going to find them." Maury then took God at His word and went looking for these paths, and we are indebted to him for his discovery of the warm and cold continental currents. His book on oceanography remains a basic text on the subject and is still used in universities.

Source(s): Only recent years has science discovered that everything we see is composed of things that we cannot see, invisible atoms. In Hebrews 11:3, written two-thousand years ago, Scripture tells us that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. Three different places in the places in the Bible indicate that the earth is wearing out. For example, Isaiah 51:6; Psalm 102:25-26; Hebrews 1:11. This is what the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the Law of Increasing Entropy, states: That in all physical processes, every ordered system over time tends to become more disordered. Everything is running down and wearing out as energy is becoming less available for use. That means the universe will eventually wear out to the extent that, theoretically speaking, there will be a heat death and therefore no more energy available for use. This wasn't discovered by science until recently, but the Bible states it in concise terms. The Scriptures inform us, "All rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full; to the place from which the rivers come, there they return again" in Ecclesiastes 1:7. This statement alone may not seem profound. But when considered with other biblical passages, it becomes all the more remarkable. For example, the Mississippi River dumps approximately 518 billion gallons of water every twenty-four hours into the Gulf of Mexico. Where does all that water go? And that's just one of thousands of rivers. The answer lies in the hydrologic cycle, so well brought out in the Bible. Ecclesiastes 11:3 states states that if the clouds are full of rain, they empty themselves upon the earth. Look at the Bible's words in Amos 9:6: "He...calls for the waters of the sea, and pours them out on the surface of the earth." The idea of a complete water cycle was not fully understood by science until the seventeenth century. However, more than two-thousand years prior to the discoveries of Pierre Perrault, Edme Mariotte, Edmund Halley, and others, the Scriptures clearly spoke of a water cycle. The Scriptures also described a cycle of air currents two-thousand years before scientist discovered them: "The wind goes toward the south, and turns around to the north; the wind whirls about continually, and comes again on its circuit in Ecclesiastes 1:6. We now know that air around the earth turns in huge circles, clockwise in one hemisphere and counterclockwise in the other. The Bible declares, "Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the hist of them, were finished" in Genesis 2:1. The original Hebrew uses past definite tense for the verb finished, indicating an action completed in the past, never again to occur. The creation was finished, once and for all. That is exactly what the Fist Law of Thermodynamics says. This law, often referred to as the Law of Energy and/or Mass, states that neither matter nor energy can be either created or destroyed. It was because of this Law that Sir Fred Holye's "Steady-State," or "Continuous Creation" Theory was discarded. Hoyle stated that at points in the universe called irtrons, matter, or energy, was constantly being created. But the First Law states just the opposite. Indeed, there is no creation ongoing today. It is finished exactly as the Bible states. In Genesis 6, God gave Noah the dimensions of the 1.5 million cubic foot ark he was to build. In 1609 at Hoorn in Holland, a ship was built after the same pattern, 30:5:3, revolutionizing ship-building. By 1900 every large ship on the high seas was inclined toward the proportions of the ark. Verified by "Lloyd's Register of Shipping" in the "World Almanac." Since God is the Author of creation as well as the Bible, it's only natural that the two should correspond. While the Bible is not intended to be a scientific book, the scientific book, the scientific statements it makes are precisely accurate. In his book "Proofs of God's Existence," Richard Wurmbrand explains: "In antiquity and in what is called Dark Ages, men did not know what they know about humanity and the cosmos. They did not know the lock but possessed the key, which is God. Now many have excellent descriptions of the lock but they have lost the key. The proper solution is union between religion and science. We should be owners of the lock and the key. The fact is that as science advances, it discovers what was said thousands of years ago in the Bible." Since God is the author of creation as well as the Bible, it's only natural that the two should correspond. While the Bible is not intended to be a scientific book, the scientific statements it makes are accurate.

Wow..........such a deep thinker :) You made my head spin momentarily.

The bible is ancient, so just like any ancient text (regardless of whether it is religious or not) many people believe the writings to be truth. I believe they are accurate, but you probably believe otherwise. There are a lot of prophecys in the bible that if translated correctly make a lot of sense, and some have already happened. However, I built my faith before I even read the bible. God saved my life.

I use to be an Atheist, until one day when I was driving on the highway and hit a sheet of ice. My car started spinning so fast but I could see the vehicle I was heading toward. Like most people do in a panic situation I cried out for God to save me. Indeed he did, I landed a little over one inch away from the other vehicle. I was so close I couldn't even crack my door open. I was driving a small car and the other guy was in a huge SUV. I know that if I had hit that car I would be dead. Some people probably think that it is just coincidence. But I felt another presence with me in my car that day. That is where I build my faith. Not the bible. The bible is just an added bonus, for helping me learn about the Lord.

There is a cycle caused by the bible, it is called the cycle of life. All can be explained in it's pages. To break free of the cycle you need to think for yourself, and listen to your heart. Knowing Jesus because he has entered your heart is more powerful than if you know Jesus because you read about him on some pages.

Faith doesn't have to be proven, but the Bible is true. Revelations I hear is happening now in the world, and even so-called "Darwin" and his evolution theory says that what Bible says is true.

And I use to have a little doubt too but then I went to St. Anthony Monastery in the desert like between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. The monk there actually mentioned how we have doubts about the Bible and God. He said that what "Darwin" said was partially right but who started it? God. He even said that Darwin made a mistake in his equation. I was shocked cause the monk was kind of old but he really did know about Darwin's equation about something I forgot, and he solved it, something about 1 = 2 something like that. But yeah.

Also, there are supernatural things in the world that happen. And if you are Atheist, not being mean, but if you believe in all these theories and stuff, who do you think started all of it? Someone extraordinary. God.

And, I heard that dinosaurs were even mentioned in the Bible.

Also remember, seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing. Ex: Jesus appeared to Thomas after he didn't believe the disciples that Jesus rose from the dead. You're curiousity is good, why don't you read the Bible for a little bit?

Source(s): I'm Christian

It is reveled to you with the help of the Holy Spirit when you place your faith in God.

1) Test it.

2) Believe Jesus was here on earth and He confirmed the OT and promised the NT

3) The Bible never makes claims to be perfect, but it is inspired word of God and God does not err.

4) Test it.

You can try to explain me the evolution theory without using science.

We all have faith in something. The faith starts when the evidence ends

• hancox

somebody won't be able to be saved or unsaved on the comparable time - that is one or the different. we are able to't be in sin and be saved - devil is the single that tempted eve and he or she ate the fruit - subsequently that's while sin entered into the international and we are all born in sin with the old adam natuer - because of the fact of this we could desire to continually repent and ask forgiveness -- forsake the sin and stick to God's be conscious Romans a million:25 Who replaced the actuality of God right into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature better than the writer, who's blessed for ever. Amen. 26 For this reason God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did substitute the organic use into that that's against nature: "For this reason" they replaced the actuality of God right into a lie - worshipped the creature mor than God Salvation is a technique - it takes lots prayer and fasting to conquer the failings of the flesh All have sinned - honestly everyone has some thing to conquer while they get saved

First I found Christ by hearing a preacher preach from the Bible. Jesus changed my life and I know he is real. Then I asked the preacher how can I find out more about Jesus. He gave me a Bible. he told me what to read in it to make it easy for me to understand. I have now been a christian for a long time. I still love to read my Bible. When you read the Bible you have to understand that it is spiritual. Only then will it make sense and only then will you understand that it is real

Sounds like your on the right track. You dont need an explanation on why you believe in God. Its more an emotional feeling. It's a personal relationship between you and God. So it doesnt matter what others think. I wish we could explain how it feels to have a personal relationship with God but all we can do is tell them how to do it. They must seek him to find him....just like we did.

Well, the Bible is a BIG book, and do you think one day, someone was bored and they randomly wrote the Bible? NO because really. Its GINORMOUS. :P And even though you said "I feel it in my heart" isn't an acceptable answer, its True.

I know the Bible is true the only way anyone can know it is true - by the infallible word of the Catholic Church who compiled it, to which Jesus Christ promised "whatsoever you bind upon earth is bound in heaven", and "the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth".

For me it is simply a matter of Faith. A Leap of Faith. I would rather be right than you.