Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

how to recover from the flu quickly?

i've had the flu for the past 4 days

my symptoms have been:

-runny nose

-fatigue

-dry cough

-fever

-sensitive skin

-getting over heated/chilled

-dizzy

-throbbing headache

-somewhat nauseous

what are some things i can do to help myself get better, asap?

thanks

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

i have that too it sucks

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Get some nyquil and day quil cold pills and take those. Also get tons of sleep. Sleep is honestly the best thing for your body!

Also try taking some vitamin C pills to see if that helps with the cold symptoms. Also stick to Tylenol or IB Profen every 5 hours to keep the fever down. Luke warm baths are also really good for the flu.

• 1 decade ago

Ok as of right now I'm having the same issue. It will NOT go away fast, I'm on my third day of sickness.

I suggest Nyquil, Advil, water and tons of rest.

Trust me you will be miserable :( I am. And if your fever goes past 104 like mine, you are likely to break out into sweats, place a damp washcloth on your forehead as well.

Sorry you have to go through this:( It's horrible, I know

• 1 decade ago

Drink lots of fluids. You could try Echinacea purpura pills, or Oregano oil drops. These are meant to boost your immune system. Also, vitamin c suppliments or equivilant. And, take a hot bath, these just feel awesome when your sick, and will help you get more sleep.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Leslie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

3 weeks iv had this flu. just make sure you get plenty rest if youve not got much of an appetite just make sure to get plenty fluids in you. hope you get a bit better soon

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

stay away from any dairy product.drink ginger tea and orange juice.get alot of sleep.freeze a wash cloth for a 1 then put it on forhead.u should be better in about 2 days.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Drink tea with lemon and honey. Also, try taking some sleeping pills. A good rest always does my body good when I'm sick.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sleep.

• 1 decade ago

all you can do is take medicine regularly and drink lots of fluids like water and get plenty of rest.

• T-Raw
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Usually, you'll need nothing more than bed rest and plenty of fluids to treat the flu. But in some cases, your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication such as oseltamivir (Tamiflu) or zanamivir (Relenza).

These drugs, which treat both influenza A and B, work by deactivating an enzyme the virus needs to grow and spread. If taken soon after you notice symptoms, they may shorten your illness by a day or so. Oseltamivir is an oral medication, but zanamivir is inhaled through a device similar to an asthma inhaler and shouldn't be used by anyone with respiratory conditions, such as asthma and lung disease.

Both medications can cause side effects, including lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and trouble breathing. They can also lead to the development of antiviral-resistant viruses.

In November 2006, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) required the maker of Tamiflu to include a warning that people with the flu, particularly children, may be at increased risk of self-injury and confusion after taking Tamiflu. The FDA recommends that individuals with the flu who take Tamiflu be closely monitored for signs of unusual behavior. Discuss possible side effects with your doctor before starting any antiviral medication.

Lifestyle and home remedies

If you do come down with the flu, these measures may help ease your symptoms:

* Drink plenty of liquids. Choose water, juice and warm soups to prevent dehydration. Drink enough so that your urine is clear or pale yellow.

* Rest. Get more sleep to help your immune system fight infection.

* Try chicken soup. It's not just good for your soul — it really can help relieve flu symptoms by breaking up congestion.

* Consider pain relievers. Use an over-the-counter pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) cautiously, as needed. Remember, pain relievers may make you more comfortable, but they won't make your symptoms go away any faster and may have side effects. Ibuprofen may cause stomach pain, bleeding and ulcers. If taken for a long period or in higher than recommended doses, acetaminophen can be toxic to your liver. Talk to your doctor before giving acetaminophen to children. And don't give aspirin to children or teens because of the risk of Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal disease.

Prevention

These steps can help you stay healthy, even at the height of flu season:

Get an annual flu vaccination. The best time to be vaccinated is October or November. This allows your body time to develop antibodies to the flu virus before peak flu season, which in the Northern Hemisphere is usually December through March. However, getting a flu shot later in the flu season may still protect you. It takes up to two weeks to build immunity following a flu shot.

Keep in mind that the flu vaccine doesn't offer complete protection, especially for older adults, but it can reduce the risk and severity of illness. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), when the match between flu vaccine and circulating strains of flu virus is close, a flu shot is between 70 and 90 percent effective in warding off illness in healthy people under age 65. It is less effective in older adults. Health experts recommend vaccinations for people over 50 because the flu shot may reduce the risk of flu-related complications, hospitalizations and deaths.

Healthy people ages 2 to 49 alternatively may receive the flu vaccine via a nasal spray called FluMist. It protects against the same strains of influenza that the flu shot does. Like the flu shot, FluMist is given every year. Because FluMist contains live, but weakened, flu viruses, it shouldn't be given to pregnant women, people with weakened immune systems and those with chronic illnesses. A study published in 2006 found that FluMist was only between 30 and 57 percent effective in preventing the flu in adults. However, another study in 2006 found that giving nasal spray vaccine to school-age children helped to reduce the spread of flu in the community. And in 2007, researchers compared the effectiveness of FluMist with the flu shot in children ages 6 months to 5 years. The children treated with FluMist experienced about half as many cases of flu as did those treated with the shot. However, FluMist increases the risk of wheezing in this age group — especially in those who already have asthma or recurrent wheezing and in all children under age 2. In 2007, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) therefore approved FluMist for children older than 2 years who don't have asthma or recurrent wheezing. Consult with your doctor about which form of vaccination may be best for you or your child.

You can get the flu vaccine from your doctor, at public health centers and many pharmacies. In some areas, flu vaccines are also available at senior or community centers and at supermarkets.

* Wash your

Source(s): Oncologist YH!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.