How did the Titanic influence the time period of 1912?

pleaseee helpppp. my project is due tomorrow!!! :)

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Titanic was supposed to be the grand symbol of opulence and luxury. There was no finer expression of status or social standing than to be one of the elite on the Titanic's maiden (first) voyage. It was even bigger than the Lusitania, which I believe was a British ship of the same idea. Look that up to confirm that.

Nobody knew it was going to sink, and the cold water made the steel very brittle and the iceberg made it the beginning of the end. Very tragic, and -was- young Leonardo DiCaprio's best movie.

I saw some trailer for some film with Leo DiCap and Kate Winslet again, like After The Titanic or something dumb. An insult to the first film. Perhaps that was not Titanic, but I believe it was because it looked like it could have come OUT of the movie Titanic. I think they made it, and it was wise not to release it because asking us to beliebe that Jack survived was outrageous.

Im really sorry for the segway to the film, but if my first paragraph helped you with your homework as a starting point, -please- select it as Best Answer. It would be much appreciated, as I want a good grade like you do.

Thanks.

Source(s): General knowledge of the Titanic and Lusitania, and also the James Cameron film. Awesome movie, maybe one of the best, yes it was. Thanks for marking my answer as Best Answer.
  • 4 years ago

Titanic Time Period

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Titanic WAS a ship. They are still trying to pull up bigger parts to clear the reason the ship sank. If they can roll it over they will see the hull and where the rip is in the side. The engineering wizards had a good idea but they didn't follow through in that they should have run the bulks up to the ceiling instead of adjusting for leverage.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Conquering New York in one visit is impossible because is a big town like you will find with Hotelbye . In New York you will see the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and significantly more. Empire State Building causes it to be worth braving the long lines, steep solution rates and dizzying heights to see the city from a top that storied building. Built in 1931, the skyscraper may be the second-tallest building in New York and is one of the most immediate representations of Gotham, so much to ensure that it's played a part in films such as King Kong, An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When the Titanic sank people realized that ships needed to have enough lifeboats to save all the passengers. This made the people of that time worried that if a ship sank that they might not live to tell the tale. The sinking influenced many future ship health and safety regulations and it also pissed of the irish.

Hope that helped

Source(s): brain
  • 1 decade ago

The Titanic disaster had a huge influence on the maritime industry at the time. And still to this day, the rules and regulations put forth after the disaster are still followed today.

After the disaster, two committees were formed (one in America and the other in England) in order to look into the disaster and try to figure out what went wrong and why exactly the ship sank. In their follow up reports, they focused on four major points: lifeboat regulations, changes in shipbuilding codes, the proper procedure to follow in the presence of floating ice, and the regulation of the wireless equipment and operators on board ships.

In regards to the lifeboats, prior to the disaster, they had been going by The Merchant Shipping Act of 1894 which stated that the number of lifeboats of a passenger ship should be based on the tonnage of the ship. This law was completely scrubbed and a new one was made that made number of lifeboats on board based on the amount of people on the board not the tonnage.

In regards to the ship building codes, The following is a list of the recommendations made by the inquiries held in America:

1. The watertight bulkheads should run the entire length of the ship and be double plated.

2. These same bulkheads should run all the way up to the lowest deck of the ship.

3. The lowest deck of the ship should be watertight.

4. Rivets should not be made with so much sulfur, in order to prevent them from becoming brittle in cold water so easily.

The British recommendations were as follows:

1. Create a Bulkhead Committee in order to provide ship builders with the most advanced technology concerning the building of bulkheads.

2. The bulkheads should extend the length of the ship and be extended at least thirty feet above the waterline.

3. There should be a planned number of decks that should be water tight and how many and how far above the waterline they should be.

These regulations would be heavily enforced by both the Board of Trade in Britain and the Senate in the United States.

The International Conference on Safety of Life at Sea met in the winter of 1913, the most important thing that came out of this was the International Ice Patrol. A patrol that was set up in order to patrol the North Atlantic for icebergs and warn passing ships of the danger.

The American Committee made suggestions in regards to the wireless that eventually became part of the Radio Act of 1912. Some of the suggestions were: there should always be at least one wireless operator on duty at all times (meaning that each ship should have two), there should be a direct way for the wireless room to be connected to the bridge (either by phone or a messenger), the wireless should always be able to work even if the engines were not on. The British Committee, after the third International Conference on Wireless Telegraphy it presented its own recommendations, which were very similar to that of the American committee.

I hope that helps! If you need more information, here's the bibliography of my paper that I wrote about this topic:

Banerjee, Hari Nath. Titanic Ship, Her Maiden and Last Voyage. Knoxville, TN: Banerjee, 2006.

Bassett, Vicki. “Causes and Effects of the Rapid Sinking of the Titanic,” Undergraduate Engineering Review, http://www.writing.eng.vt.edu/uer/basset... (accessed 20 April 2008).

Beesley, Lawrence. The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons. Charleston, SC: Bibliobazaar, 2007.

Butler, Daniel Allen. “Unsinkable”: The Full Story of the RMS Titanic. Cambridge: Da Copo Press, 2002.

Evans-Stewart, Blanche and Edward J. Kruska. "The Titanic and the International Ice Patrol," The Reservist, http://www.uscg.mil/reserve/magazine/mag... (accessed 15 Feb 2008).

Kuntz, Thomas, ed. The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation. New York: Pocket Books, 1998.

Lane, Allison. “Impact of the Titanic Upon International Maritime Law,” Encyclopedia-Titanica, http://enclopedia/ –titanica.org/print/3620. (accessed 19 February 2008).

Litell, Richard. "Icebergs Still Menace Ships." The Science News-Letter, no. 77 (1960): 154-155.

Marcus, Geoffrey. The Maiden Voyage. New York: Viking Press, 1969.

“Report of the Committee of Commerce, United States Senate, Pursuant to S. Res. 283 Directing the Committee on Commerce to Investigate the Causes Leading to the Wreck of the White Star Liner ‘Titanic’”, 1912.

The British Wreck Commission’s “Report on the Loss of the Titanic”, July 1912

Wels, Susan. Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner. 1st. San Francisco: Time-Life Books, 1997.

Wheeler, Everett P.. “International Conference on Safety of Life at Sea.” The American Journal of International Law 8(1914):758-768.

• 1 decade ago

Well considering they thought it was an unsinkable ship. It showed the people of 1912 not to be cocky and to not take high risks like that.

Source(s): My thoughts.
  • 1 decade ago

It made people of that time more aware of the dangers of not being prepared for everything out at sea. Hope this helped ;)

• 1 decade ago

Nobody ever believed a ship was unsinkable again. That is for sure.

Source(s): History
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maritime safety laws. Use of then-new wireless, including new distress signal "SOS." Safety laws are the bigger consequence, though. You should look it up....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.