Why did old roller skates have a key?

what was the key for? I remember this cute song that goes "i got a brand new pair of roller skates, you have a brand new key". I also read in an obituary "he taught his younger sister to roller skate then stole her skate key". Was the key somehow neccesary to take off the skates or something? Enlighten me about this please. Why would a skate need a key? what was its function?

• randy
    Best Answer

skates back in the day "clamped" onto the botttom and sides of your shoes. you used the "key" to open the "jaws" (clamps" wider, then placed the skate under your shoe and used the key to tighten until it clamped onto your shoe in front, and the rear had a leather strap that buckled in front of your ankle,over the top of your shoe..

Roller Skates With Key

Old Roller Skates

Yes, older roller skates did have a key. Older roller skates weren't a boot like they are now, they used to fit over your shoe thats why you had the key. the key was used to make the skate bigger or smaller.

Source(s): people told me.
  • Mary

I got a brand new pair of roller skates, you got the brand new key! Fun!