How seriously should the Yahoo Answers site be taken?

Hi,

I have only recently signed up to Yahoo answers,

I thought it was a knowledge exchange thing rather than a social site, but having read some recent questions, and answers, I have even found some well established members giving 'silly' or unhelpful answers.

Please dont get me wrong, I think the site is great, and the format works really well. but it seems that if you ask a question and it has some potentially funny responses all you get are jokes. It's only very thecnical or boring questions which get sensible answers.

What is your opinion on - How seriously should the Yahoo Answers site be taken?

Thanks in advance for any serious answers/opinions, and of course any less than serious answers ! :-)

Favorite Answer

It depends, some people come on here with serious questions and receive serious answers.

Obviously others are just messing around.

By choosing an linking to fans and members who give good information and help you can help find a group who can give you reliably helpful answers.

I've watched who answers and asks good questions and link to them. They hold more strength with their answers than other people b/c I trust them.

You can get some great answers and information on here, you'll just have to expect to weed through the silly fluff that's bound to come your way as well.

Best of Luck!

It's true that there are a lot of people think this site is nothing more than a game. I've answered questions where out of 10 answers, ALL were wrong but one. So people have to use a little common sense. They'll never get rid of the childish, immature questions, or the totally useless silly questions. But we have to be somewhat knowledgeable before taking to heart any answers given here. You have to be a good judge of the quality of answers. I don't ask many questions, but I asked one recently about filing an amended return (researched it first), and knew after the first answer that I didn't need any further answers. You just have to have that instinct to be able to judge the quality and accuracy of an answer. I'm not sure if I answered your question, but basically... proceed with caution and trust your instincts.

The site was much more serious when it first started. But the lowering of the age limit to 13 (from 18) and the closing of the message boards (releasing hordes of 'trolls') has caused the site to deteriorate over time. It can STILL be used well -- but you have to be extremely discriminating to do that, and expect to get a lot of 'trash' answers. However, since this is an accurate reflection of the world in general (90% of everything is trash), it is good practice for dealing with the 'real' world.

Generally, unless it's a straight flat out answer that can either be right or wrong, such as the answer to a maths question, then I only use answers as a guide towards the right direction. For example, if I asked "Do you like my hair?" and showed a picture, then any responses would be opinion, and I'd just use them to gage what people might generally think of it, rather than that's what all people think.

depends whether the question itself is silly. yes many don't take this site seriously, but it depends with me, good sensible questions get good answers and sometimes i might give a slightly silly answer that's a bit obvious.

Not all answers you get are jokes. I have only ever got 2 joke answers to alll like.. 52 questions lol x

most answers arent jokes

You have to be your own filter. You can often see the trend in the answers and this let's you know if you are getting real effort or answers. I say 60% are good answers with real effort.

Source(s): Experience in answers
  • Bub

Not very. For good answers, tripadvisor.com (free) travel info, Edmunds. com for free vehicle info., Allexperts.com for about everything else.

some just don't I do take it seriously because people do want real anwsers to there questions some just anwser to get the points

I would say as serious as you take them to be.